R and I went to his friend's wedding on Saturday night. Now I know that I said that test #2 would be the wedding, but the funny thing is that it really didn't seem like a test at all. In fact, if I look back at the whole weekend, it was just another proof point to me that how easy it is to spend time with R. And when I look at it objectively, we've pretty much settled into a full blown relationship.
The wedding itself was beautiful, yet understated. His friend Jerry was getting married in his in laws' backyard. Gorgeous evening for a backyard wedding. R and I were right on the dot and the last guests to arrive.
It was a small wedding, and so I pointed out to R how special it was that they had asked him (and by default me) to be a part of their special day. The evening was spent socializing with the neighbors, friends and family. All such lovely people and I really enjoyed the evening.
There was one point during the wedding that was really poignant to me. For some reason during their wedding vows, I started to have a mini heart palpitations -- and I don't think it was my heart bursting for joy for the happy couple. The whole idea of committing to someone for the rest of my life just scares the shit out of me, and sitting next to R, I naturally wondered if this was someone who I could stand up and make that same lifelong commitment. And with that, I had suddenly leaped from enjoying my new relationship to contemplating "happily ever after" with the person sitting by my side, holding my hand. Fortunately I was able to snap myself out of that whole spiral and enjoyed the rest of the evening.
So back to the wedding not really being the test. There was no real orchestration or plan of how we would spend the weekend. Somehow it just happened, and it was so easy and natural.
Saturday started off with a job opportunity lead for R that he asked me to go with him to. Then it was off to get the puppy's shots and check up, followed by a quick turnaround to change for the wedding and get there on time. (Hence, the arrival right on the dot and not a minute too soon.)
And then on Sunday, R really wanted to go see the Blue Angels airshow, and so we got in the car and drove in hopes of finding the ideal viewing location on the lake. And then drove around some neighborhoods in the later afternoon. A nice Italian dinner to cap off the weekend, and voila, the work week begins again.
Not sure what this week is going to bring between the dreaded jury duty and my sister coming to town to visit. But test #3 will likely be meeting my sister and dear friend Peter who will both be in town for a short visit.
Monday, August 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I cannot wait to catch up with you about the unmet R. I am SO very happy for you!! :)
Post a Comment