Thursday, November 16, 2006

cookin' turkey

I'm not much of a cook, ok, not a cook at all. Most all of my meals are from restaurants. And so Thanksgiving has never been about the experience of making the meal. In fact, the last two years when I was dating J, we'd find some restaurant that was open for brunch and go there with his kids.

This year, T-day has somewhat snuck up on me. Until the other day when R's grandma asked if we were going to spending Thanksgiving at his cousin's in Port Townsend. With my sister and brother-in-law living nearby and that between the four of us, we have 3 dogs, R and I decided that we'd forgo being the "Thanksgiving guest" and try our luck at being the "Thanksgiving host" and invite my sister and her husband over to join us.

Weirdly enough, I'm kind of excited to cook dinner this year. I've never really had any tradition around Thanksgiving. The last time I had Thanksgiving dinner with my family was when I was 16, so it's never really been a family holiday for me. It's really just been a few days off of work, and finding some other "family-less" friends to gorge and indulge in insane amounts of food with.

But as I was saying, I'm excited this year because it will be me and R. Hanging out in the kitchen, no stress of playing host to a gaggle of people, and just relaxing, eating and spending time together.

I definitely need some downtime after the week I've had at work. :)

1 comment:

Pen In Cheek said...

I feel like I need to report you to some kind of authorities...

Pretty soon you'll be whipping up lemon bars and ruling the world!

:) JV