Tuesday, December 05, 2006

st nick's weekend

Last Saturday, Rick and I joined my good friends Redhead Momma and her husband D for a lovely day of wine tasting at St. Nick's Weekend in Woodinville.

I've known Red and her hubby for nearly 10 years, and adore them to bits. And so I was very excited to spend the afternoon with them and for they and Rick to get better acquainted. Rick met Red a few weeks ago when we all went out to dinner, but it was quick and Rick can be a little quiet, so I was looking forward to a more relaxed environment.

And relaxed it was. :) Our first stop was the Willows Lodge where we had a chance to taste select wines from Baer Winery, Cuillin Hills Winery, DesVoigne Cellars, JM Cellars and Domaine Ste. Michelle. Rick was particularly fond of the Baer Ursa and the JM Cellars Cabernet Savignon. We sat and chatted there while we enjoyed our "all you could stomach" wine tasting before deciding to head off to the next destination.

I had done this same wine tour with a few of my girlfriends last year, and so I have some favorites, including Facelli Winery, which was next on our list. I prefer whites and they have a very yummy Riesling. Plus, it's a small family-run winery. They've got a small store front, and it was packed wall to wall for the wine tasting. An unusual wine they produce is a late harvest Syrah. For someone who doesn't really like reds, I really like this yummy dessert wine, and made sure we got a bottle to take home with us.

Back on the road again, D was very interested in stopping at Woodinville Wine Cellars. By far, this place had the best spread. Incredible catered food, much of which was selected to complement the three varieties of wine they were tasting. My favorite was the Savignon Blanc. They also had this melt-in-your-mouth beef skewer that had been marianted for three hours in their Syrah. I, of course, couldn't resist their truffles either. Red and D's friends LaVonne and Brian join the party. It was great to meet LaVonne and Brian since I had heard about them for so long. Rick also enjoyed talking to Brian. By this point I had reached my wine in take limit and was starting to get a little chilly in the barrel room where the tasting was happening. We purchased the Sav Blanc and trekked onward to the next (and last) destination.

Januik Winery and Novelty Hill Winery were hosting a tasting in the same location. I had been there last year (which was also the last stop on wine tour 2005). Interestingly enough, I saw a family that had been there the year before. Last year, one of my girlfriends had been chatting it up with an older cowboy (60ish) gentleman, his 30ish cowboy son, the older gentleman's young wife and their baby. My friend couldn't get over that the 30ish son was a brother to the baby, and not the father. This stop also had some delicious shortbread to pair with the different wines. I opted for just eating the shortbread and forgoing the wine.

Four hours of wine tasting and I was zapped. But after picking up our car at Red's house, we had to zip home to meet up with Rick's friends who we had planned to have dinner with. I could have just gone home and curled up on the couch. But alas, I sipped on some diet Coke and then the evening continued.

Thanks Red and D for a wonderful afternoon. We had a fabulous time hanging out with you both.

1 comment:

Pen In Cheek said...

Reminds me so much of last year...we had so much fun! Makes me a little sad that our "book club" didn't do it again this year, although it would not have been the same...wink, wink. Amazing to think of how much everyone's lives have changed.

I can't believe that cowboy family was there again. That little baby was so cute. Just glad you didn't get food poisoning this year...it was still worth it, though, even when it made us sick :)