The sun was peaking out on Saturday, and after having so much terrible ice, snow and rain, we were more than ecstatic to be able to do something outside. Initially I'd thought it might be fun to take the bikes out on the trail and head up to the wineries. :)
Rick had a better idea -- head out to the driving range. I was all for that. I'd just bought my own set of clubs a few weeks ago and am raring to put them to the test. Two buckets of balls and we were all set up to knock out some balls. Rick was great and took a lot of time to help me with my form and instruct me on how I could make better contact with the ball. At first I was a little self conscious as I was surround by 60 year old geezers, but soon enough I was more interested in just perfecting my technique.
About 45 minutes into our time at the driving range, I heard a series of groans, and then looked up to see a guy asking if he needed to call 9-1-1. Completely distracted by trying to figure out what was going on, I told Rick that I thought someone was hurt. My first assumption was that some guy was having a heart attack. Since he deals with medical issues, Rick walked over to the guy on the ground, whose head was being cradled by his wife. Apparently she hit her ball and it must have ricocheted and hit her husband in the face, right under the eye. While dispatch was on the way, Rick asked the guy a couple of questions to make sure he hadn't suffered any brain injury. He wasn't having any dizziness or nausea, so Rick seemed to think the only thing he'd be dealing with would be a huge shiner. Poor guy.
The paramedics came, talked to him for a few minutes and then left, chuckling as they went. I know it's not a horrific accident, but c'mon, the guy was hurt. No need to laugh about it. We finished off the buckets of balls and made our way home to get ready for our dinner plans.
Sunday was not nearly as nice as Saturday, but Rick had the idea to head up to Snoqualmie Falls and get lunch there. We packed up the dogs and headed out I-90. A little chilly, but there wasn't any fog or rain to obstruct the view of the falls. I'd never been inside the hotel there before and so that was quite a treat. Rick requested a table by the window, so we had quite the view for lunch.
And as small worlds go, I heard a familiar voice and looked over to see Real Estate Rick sitting there with some blonde girl that I didn't recognize. I quickly got my Rick up to speed on how I knew Real Estate Rick (e.g., he dated my friend Kim and it was at his house in eastern Washington that we partied with his mom and dad until all hours of the night in celebration of my 31st birthday).
Anyhow, I debated on whether or not I'd make my presence known, and in the end, I decided to leave him and his "date" in peace and my Rick and I trotted off down to the Snoqualmie Falls trail for a quick hike.
Before heading back home after the hike, we drove over to North Bend and took a stroll around a golf course over there. Rick is just itching to get out and play again and picked up a flier for a small golf tournament next month. I think it would be good for him to get back out there playing the game he loves and make some friends too.
The dogs were getting antsy and so we found an empty field nearby and let them run around to stretch their legs. That must have done the trick because Zoe was zonked out when we got home.
Looking at the weather forecast for next weekend, it says that it's supposed to be sunny. I hope so. It would be fun to get back out to the driving range. In the meantime, my bike trainer has finally arrived (after two weeks with FedEx) and so I think I'll focus on getting on a routine with that this week.
Monday, January 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
If you're interested in lessons, there are some great instructors at the Bellevue Muni course.
Just think, you could travel the world playing world-class golf courses together. What a great excuse for a tropical vacation at leaast once a year!
There are some seriously rude emergency personnel out there. I'll have to tell you about the time my college roommate and I were driving late at night in the canyon I lived in, and we came upon a woman in the middle of the road. Crazy story. Yes, it has to do wtih emergency personnel.
Post a Comment