Friday, February 16, 2007

super-cali-fraga-listic-expi-halitosis

Weird how blogging seems to penetrate the crack in the shell and let you share your most personal thoughts and issues. One of these for me has been my long battle with chronic halitosis. As much as I try to address the problem, it seems that all they do is mask it.

I feel fortunate that I'm at least aware. I'm constantly chewing gum just so that I can have some peace of mind when I'm in conversation with people. Trying to diagnose the issue has been much more difficult so as to know what the right remedies should be. Is it related to my sinuses? Maybe I need to get my wisdom teeth taken out? Brush, scrape, floss, gargle, spit. Five minutes later, the taste in my mouth is back to where it was before. Uggh. I'm so over it.

The other day I was online and I saw an article from the Today Show about people with conditions like mine. And there was a mention of a product called Smart Mouth that not only helps with the gases that oral bacteria generates, but supposedly will help in preventing the offending odor. This may be a little like the diet pill industry...I'll try anything hoping it will provide the magic cure.

So I went online an read up on it.

"All of the Smartmouth products are based on the revolutionary zinc ion technology. The Smartmouth Family can provide these great benefits:

  • Fresh Breath
  • Whiter Teeth
  • Healthier Mouth
  • Confidence Throughout the Day and Night
  • NO MORE Morning Breath

Smartmouth tastes great. All of the Smartmouth products have the amazing, Smartmouth signature flavor - a wonderful, refreshing mint flavor. Smartmouth - feel the difference."

Sounds good. Sign me up. I just received my first package from Drugstore.com with the toothpaste and mouthwash. The toothpaste didn't have any odd taste to it. That's a good sign. The mouthwash is interesting. It's not just one bottle -- it's two. Kind of like the OxyClean sprayer, you have to mix the two together to get the ions interacting. I also got a free packet of gum for ordering their product. Not too impressed by that. I think I'll stick to my standby Costco-bulk-purchase Trident.

Smart Mouth is a little more expensive than conventional methods, but I think it's well worth the investment if it truly works. It says it'll be a week or so before I (and hopefully everyone else) really can tell the difference. Keeping the fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Pen In Cheek said...

I seriously don't know what you are talking about. And I've even been your roommate and sat next to you on an airplane!

From my own experience, I can tell you that I used to be addicted to gums and breath sprays. The chemicals of those products changed the pH in my mouth and made things worse. This also happened with deodorant. Regular brands made me stinky and sweaty. Since I switched to a chemical-free, all-natural deodorant I am all rosy!

Hopefully this works for you and makes your mouth happy. If not, I'd recommed some all-natural solutions.

But seriously, I still don't know what you are talking about :)