And of course, my bags are packed. Thanks to Jen and Janya, Rick and I have Rick Steves-approved backpacks for increased mobility. No hostels for us though, just purely for easy of movement from one destination to another.
I've meticulously have reviewed the suggested packing list, and took to heart their recommendation to pack lightly and smartly. I pulled out the clothes, rolled them up, placed them in airtight ziplock bags and methodically placed labels on each ziplock. Tanks, swimsuits, socks, shorts....
And since the packing job is mostly done, I have two weeks to fret over the smaller details, including my travel bible (aka binder). When I have done trips like this in the past, I've compiled all sorts of itineraries, information, and every possible detail that I could need while away. Most of these resulting in 1-2" binders. Because of space limitations, I've had to rethink my strategy on this.
My first project was to review the documents I had set aside for the trip binder -- maps, hotel information, flight information, siteseeing reviews, confirmation numbers. You get the idea. It really adds up when you're gone for three weeks. And so my first task was to compact as much information and detail into the smallest amount of paper/space possible. And voila, a single page, three-fold brochure. Complete with all flight details, hotel information and a high-level list of things to do in each port of call. Just had to share a screenshot of my masterpiece.
And then I had another epiphany. I just got a new cell phone this week, and I am already beginning to wonder how I lived without it. It's called a Dash and essentially allows me to not only have my email, contacts list and calendar at my finger tips, but it also can read Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents. Utter elation! I then saved all of my miscellaneous information on my phone, including maps of the cities and transportation systems. Now I'll feel like I have my security blanket with us.
Now if I can figure out how to configure the darn MP3 player. In addition to needing to load up music that both Rick and I will listen to, I think I'm going to see if I can find some cheap books on CD to download on the device as well.
I think I've finally discovered the paperless way to travel. Yeehaw!


2 comments:
I see a new career path for you..."Winged and Wireless...your travel expert!"
You are brilliant. You better copyright that before Rick Steves snatches that up.
Post a Comment