Well, I heeded the advice of my beloved friends and instead of going through the hassle of repairs, we've used this opportunity to get a new refrigerator. I've spent the last few evenings to surf the Net for deals on new appliances. Since the fridge croaked the day after Labor Day, we missed the Labor Day sales. But it was the 72-hour promotional email I got from Sears that caught my eye.
Finding a new fridge has not been easy, especially because we have very specific dimensions that we need to be wary of. The height cannot exceed 68.5" because there's a cabinet above the fridge, and the width can't be much narrower than 35" since the overhead cabinet would then stick out farther than the fridge. Plus, I've been thinking about shifting from a side by side fridge to a bottom freezer mount fridge with french doors.
We walked into Sears this afternoon with a tape measure in hand, and I started taking measurements on a couple of fridges to see if they would fit. Tight squeeze but a couple of them might work (matter of 1/10th's of inches). We narrowed it down to two Kenmore models -- both of which were on sale, and if we bought another appliance, we'd get another 10% off.
Now we aren't in a dire situation with any of our other appliances right now, but I'm the first to admit that my very cheap dishwasher, which I bought used four years ago, is likely the next to go. Knowing that I'm probably going to have to replace the dishwasher soon, I was prepared to buy a new dishwasher if it would be financially beneficial in the long run.
And so we also looked at some dishwashers and found a middle of the line, but really upgraded from what we have today, model that meet our price point and functionality.
And so in a relatively painless excursion to Sears, we bought a hugely discounted top-end refrigerator (to be delivered on Sunday), and a nice dishwasher (to be delivered next Friday). So in the end, we saved $670 on the fridge and $150 on the dishwasher. Nevermind that I spent way, way more than I had planned to replace the fridge, but oh well. We'll have some pretty fancy schmancy kitchen toys to show for it. :)

Finding a new fridge has not been easy, especially because we have very specific dimensions that we need to be wary of. The height cannot exceed 68.5" because there's a cabinet above the fridge, and the width can't be much narrower than 35" since the overhead cabinet would then stick out farther than the fridge. Plus, I've been thinking about shifting from a side by side fridge to a bottom freezer mount fridge with french doors.
We walked into Sears this afternoon with a tape measure in hand, and I started taking measurements on a couple of fridges to see if they would fit. Tight squeeze but a couple of them might work (matter of 1/10th's of inches). We narrowed it down to two Kenmore models -- both of which were on sale, and if we bought another appliance, we'd get another 10% off.
Now we aren't in a dire situation with any of our other appliances right now, but I'm the first to admit that my very cheap dishwasher, which I bought used four years ago, is likely the next to go. Knowing that I'm probably going to have to replace the dishwasher soon, I was prepared to buy a new dishwasher if it would be financially beneficial in the long run.
And so we also looked at some dishwashers and found a middle of the line, but really upgraded from what we have today, model that meet our price point and functionality.
And so in a relatively painless excursion to Sears, we bought a hugely discounted top-end refrigerator (to be delivered on Sunday), and a nice dishwasher (to be delivered next Friday). So in the end, we saved $670 on the fridge and $150 on the dishwasher. Nevermind that I spent way, way more than I had planned to replace the fridge, but oh well. We'll have some pretty fancy schmancy kitchen toys to show for it. :)


3 comments:
we like our fridge a lot - there are some things we hate about it, but we got ours in 2003, so we HOPE they've fixed it by now with the newer models. But it's so nice to not have to bend over, and also to have fresh healthy food right where I can see it. The problem is that you can also see very unhealthy food right in front you as well! hahah
very nice! with such a nice appliances perhaps you'll start cooking more :) or maybe you already have, given all the groceries you had to transfer to your sister's house?
somehow i knew you'd turn this into a two-fer deal...you're a great deal finder!
yay for the end of that drama. on to the next one!
Post a Comment