Tuesday, November 06, 2007

babytalk

The last few weeks I've noticed something strange. Babytalk is happening, and it ain't between me and my girlfriends! Rick's been catching up with his friends, and he relays to me some of their conversation topics. On several occasions, the boys are having pretty deep talks about "kids." Which is quite amusing to me since I'm clearly not the one conjuring up opportunities to talk about "lifetime commitment" much less discuss future progeny.

The other day he had a serious conversation with a colleague over lunch about having kids. I guess his coworker has been married for eight years now, and Rick was asking him about whether he and his wife plan to have kids. And then the other day, he met up with another friend for dinner who's engaged to be married this spring, and the two of them talked about babies and such.

I think Rick's on his path to self discovery. We've talked about the possibility of family. I'd say we're on the same page -- pretty neutral for now. But I'd characterize myself on the neutral to positive spectrum of maybe-one-day. And he's currently on the neutral to negative spectrum of if-we-have-kids-maybe-we-should-just-adopt-But-even-then-not-everyone-should-have-kids.

If you ask me, I think it comes down to fear. We've got the crazy genes on both sides. We both have short fuses when it comes to the dogs. Wouldn't you if your dog was hellbent on eating poop OR thought it was a game to trip you as you walk down the stairs in heels? We both enjoy our freedom and hobbies -- he relishes his golf, music and his Harley, and I like to travel and dine out.

But the reality is, one way or another, we've got a bigger bridge to cross first -- namely the big M. Maybe this is his way of wrapping his head around this whole lifetime commitment thing.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, babies. We're still tiptoeing around the M conversation. I can't even imagine the baby talk. Funny it should be coming from him. That's good.

redheadmomma said...

I think you hit the nail on the head - he's totally trying to wrap his head around the future.

You mentioned that you lose your temper with the dogs. Having had both dogs and children, I can tell you that it's incomparable. You have, I'm sure, never looked at your dog and thought, I would die for you. But you would if it were your baby. Something very life-changing happens when you have a child, and you can never go back. And you don't ever want to.

XO R