Friday, November 09, 2007

bling

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to head over to Nordstrom to use the very generous gift card I received for my birthday from Redhead Momma. I know it's shocking, but I'm really not a shopper, so trying to zero in on what I wanted to buy was a little daunting. But after thinking about it, I thought it would be fun to "upgrade" my cubic zirconium studs for a bigger, princess cut set.

I came home with my new purchase and showed Rick my new prize. He didn't hide his true thoughts. "I didn't realize you were into such big, jewelry." Clearly not a fan, and made a comment about them being so egregiously big they look fake. I, of course, shot back that I know lots of women my age who has real ones, and so some fake ones wouldn't be questioned.

Bad idea. Totally spiraled into a affordability discussion, and the real underlying issue came out. Pressure to buy me expensive "jewelry." I had to reassure him that I love the jewelry that he's bought me -- which I do. I mean, what guy would be brave enough to buy a girl necklaces? And both times, he's done a great job.

But I knew what he was getting at. We've not talked about engagement rings, and I can only imagine what went through his head when I pulled out my fake earrings. "Shit, she's going to expect a big, fat diamond." Well, maybe that's not such a bad idea to plant. :) Not that I need carat upon carat of oozing diamond splendor, but a decent ring would be nice. Afterall, I've waited this long to meet my prince charming. What's a few months of financing for a life-long commitment?

No comments: