I feel like I've been transported back 15 years to when I was in high school overseas. Facebook has been my connection to that part of my past. And I can't really explain it, but it's a piece of me that I don't get to tap into very often. Most of my friends from the international school are spread all around the world, and it's a rare, but special occasion when I get to see them and catch up.
Facebook has been a virtual reunion for me. Somewhat poignant since it's coming up on a milestone reunion year, but as far as I know, there really won't be an opportunity for all of us to get together. And so it's online where I've been reconnecting with classmates from a close knit school where there were only 400 of us in the whole high school, and where our lives were so intertwined with activities in and out of school.
My first-ever date added me as a Facebook friend. I was 14 at the time, and he asked me to go to the semi-formal with him. I was so nervous. I'd never worn heels before and I remember going to the mall with a friend to pick out a pair of white pumps to match my seafoam green satin dress. Oh yes, it was "fabulous." My date was doing double duty that night -- as my date, and running the event since he was the student government president. I settled in at a table with my friends and spent the evening nursing my foot cramps. My poor date spent the evening pretty much dateless. And then to cap it off, I naively thought I'd save him the trouble of taking me home by catching a ride with my Dad who was going to pick up my brother and his date from the dance. My date was in my chemistry class, and not surprising, he really never spoke to me again. That is until he added me to his Facebook page. I wonder if he remembers our disastrous date, of which I take full responsibility. And to make matters worse, he came to school the next day with a broken toe. I always wondered if I had somehow stepped on him and caused that injury.
This weekend I decided to have fun and upload a bunch of photos from high school to my Facebook page -- mostly for the benefit of my high school friends and classmates. I was having such a great time scanning pictures, tagging them, and uploading them. Waiting to see if anyone would comment on them. And then the comments started coming in on a couple of pictures from another guy from school. He was getting quite a kick out of them and started emailing me about the pictures. The reminiscing email conversation continued and then out of the blue reminds me of the time he "stole a kiss" from me. OMG! I totally remember that. We were all out at a dance club and my friends and I were leaving the club. He was really buzzed and cornered me by the escalator and tried to coax me to kiss him. Such a shy, silly school girl I was. Anyhow, I couldn't believe that he remembered that, and thought it was funny (and I'd be lying if I didn't mention flattering) that he brought that up. Good, fun memories.
Saturday, November 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment