Monday, January 14, 2008

recoup and rejuvenate

Where did the weekend go? Friday night was so much fun. Post-holiday work event with incredible headliner Modest Mouse to boot. Of course, it was much more fun having the backstage vantage, and having a few of my friends there with me. We went all out and even got a hotel room downtown so that we didn't have to worry about how much we consumed. All about the taxi.

So Saturday morning got off to a very slow start. I wasn't sure which way it was going to go for me. But by 9 am, I decided I was better up getting up and taking a shower. That made me feel a little better. Rick decided to sleep in a little longer since check out wasn't until noon. I made my way to the Starbucks next door to get something in my stomach. I'd been so busy with the party details that I didn't get a chance to eat, and just filled up on wine, and apparently by the end of the night...energy drinks. Egads.

We finally checked out of the hotel, made a pit stop at the venue so Rick could pick up his left-behind jacket and then beelined it for home, where I spent the rest of the afternoon/evening camped out on the couch catching up on Tivo.

By Sunday morning I was well-rested and Rick thought it would be a great idea to take the Harley out for a spin. We finally made a plan to head over to the Olympic Peninsula since there were no signs of rain showers. I bundled up in several layers and even fashioned together a really silly-looking scarf around my checks and chin so that they didn't freeze off while on the bike. It actually worked pretty well.

We took an early afternoon ferry over, only to learn that the Hood Canal bridge was closed and so getting to Port Townsend was near impossible. Back up plan was Poulsbo. I hadn't been there in many, many years but it's a cute artsy Norwegian town. We stopped for a late lunch, and then decided it was time to head back home via ferry so that it didn't get too dark. One of the nice things being on a motorcycle is being able to skip to the front of the line, so there's no three-hour waits to get across the Sound.

It was dark by the time we reach the other side, and we still had a ways to go, but fortunately traffic and weather cooperated and we made it home safe and sound. Just in time to put on some pjs and let my derriere recover from the long afternoon on the motorcycle.

1 comment:

secretmom said...

sounds like a great weekend. I love Port Townsend!