Sunday, March 30, 2008

habit first, results later

I turned over a new leaf when I started my new job a little over a month ago. I'd been in a funky space with all of the work politics, and with the new change of scenery, I thought it would be a good time to change up my commitment to health.

I absolutely hate working out. For me, I rather doing something enjoyable that just happens to get me a good workout. Running on a treadmill like a hamster in a wheel never got my endorphins going. So, it's been a big feat to set a goal to go to the gym before work everyday and stick to it.

And so far, I have. I can't believe it. And not only that, I actually get annoyed when I'm not able to have "my" time in the morning because of some ungodly early work meeting. Now that is a marked improvement in my attitude.

But I have to admit, going to the gym all of these weeks hasn't exactly been fruitful. Mostly because I plop myself on an elliptical machine and then proceed to watch the morning news and the Today Show while reading my People magazine. Doesn't exactly encourage an intense cardio experience. I was more focused on getting into the habit of going, and then I'd focus on my efforts making a difference.

So for the first time in over two years, I got up on Saturday morning, dragged Rick with me and we went to a circuit training class. OMG. Kicked our collective asses, but what a great feeling. I, of course am walking around with stiff muscles today. And weirdly enough, I'm looking forward to joining the M-W-F class starting tomorrow morning to continue the masochism that is exercise.

If this doesn't get me in shape for my biking/hiking adventure in Southeast Asia in the Fall, I don't know what will.

2 comments:

Pen In Cheek said...

good for you!!!

redheadmomma said...

SO glad you did that! I'm there at 8:30 on Saturdays, if you're in there, I'll look for you. :)