Monday, March 31, 2008

teatro zinzanni



For Rick's belated birthday dinner, I got us tickets to see Teatro Zinzanni. I'd heard lots about it, but in all of the years that I've lived in the Seattle area, I guess there's never been a real occasion to see what it's all about.

I'd heard that it was a very entertaining, interactive, and at times, a risque show. We weren't sure what we were in for, and it was one of the best things we've ever done!

Just unbelievable. From the atmosphere to the cast, and the exquisite five-course meal -- we loved every minute of it.

We arrived a little early and got a drink while we mingled in the lobby looking at the over-the-top costume paraphernalia available for purchase. We saw some people getting elaborate glittery face painting and we plopped ourselves down to get ours done too. Why not?!

And what's a night out on the town without the commemorative photo? We indulged and captured the memories for a mere $20. We were then seated at our table, with two other parties we didn't know. A couple visiting from Germany, and brother and sister who'd brought their mother who was visiting from Philadelphia.

With each course of dinner, you had the option of getting wine flights, which we did and absolutely enjoyed along with our appetizer of flatbread and goat cheese, carrot soup, spring salad, salmon and polenta grits, topped off with a delightful mango dessert.

But what wowed us to the core was the entertainment. Contortionists, acrobatics, illusions, and a very engaging show. No wall flowers here, we were part of the show whether we liked it or not. At one point the leading lady was singing and had everyone get up from their tables to dance. Such a fun, spontaneous experience. Now -- what to do to top this experience next time?

3 comments:

Jen said...

That's so great. I've been kicking around doing this for years but have heard mixed opinions about it. Sounds like a fabulous time.

redheadmomma said...

I think D would HATE the being part of the scene if you liked it or not, otherwise, sounds SO great!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Teatro Z. rocks!! We had so much fun there. I'm glad you guys went. I'll have to send you the hysterical essay I started about my experience - where I was seated next to a 400-lb. guy (who subsequently sat on my purse, which I was certain would disappear into a fold of flesh, never to be seen again) and one of the contortionists dove underneath our table, re-emerged next to me, took a big bite of my pumpkin soup, PUT THE SPOON BACK INTO THE BOWL, then ducked under the table again and returned to the show, amidst thunderous applause from people who apparently not only enjoy super-human flexibility but the art of the double dip. Opa!!