Sunday, April 06, 2008

baila con dios

Never in a million years would I have ever thought that I'd get Rick to agree to take dance lessons. Yeah sure, he's said he'd do it, but when it came down to it, I wasn't too sure that there'd ever be a convenient time to pull him off the green and into a dance studio for some mano-a-mano Ballroom lessons.

And then there it was. An ad with our gym -- Intro to Ballroom. Learn to dance like Dancing with the Stars. Two classes, one hour each. Of course you can't learn too much in that amount of time, but I figured it was a low-risk investment to see how much Rick would enjoy it, and perhaps use it as an opportunity to entice him to take more indepth lessons.

I haven't taken social dance classes since college, but even for the few moments where we stood in the line of dance along with all of the other newbie couples in the class, I knew that the sleeping monster had wakened, and that dance would be in my future -- somehow, some way.

In the short hour we learned basic steps for the Waltz, Fox Trot and the Swing. Being a musician, Rick has a sense of rhythm, which helped immensely. And he had a good attitude as well. Next week is our last intro class where we'll learn a couple of Latin ballroom basics.

If all goes well, I may be writing out my birthday wish list to include a few more sessions of Ballroom dance. :)

1 comment:

Jen said...

That's so great. Mike and I have been talking about it since we first started dating but it hasn't happened yet. Hope you enjoy it.