Monday, May 12, 2008

my manolos

I don't believe in spending $500-600 on a pair of shoes. I can absolutely appreciate a beautiful pair of shoes, but I'm a quantity gal, and there's no way I'd have the 80+ pairs of shoes (for all occasions) if I were to drop that kind of money on each pair. Nordstrom Rack and DSW are my friends, and once in a while I find a bargain on a cute pair of Kenneth Cole, Stuart Weitzman, and Cole Haan.

Cut to last Thursday where I was invited to attend a charity event for Rift Valley Children's Village in Africa. Tami invited me along as her "date" since Tom was out of town. We hadn't much time to see each other, so I eagerly agreed to go with her. Besides, there'd be some free hors d’oeuvres and wine.

We dutifully made our way around the silent auction tables while we munched and sipped. A week in Tuscany, handmade jewelry, spa packages, Starbucks gift baskets, and the obligatory teeth whitening. Interestingly enough, we'd come across a pair of shoes. Fascinating concept, and if the "size was right" the competition for a good pair of shoes would be limited. Eliminate all men, and then narrow down the pool of women to the shoe size up for auction. Just so happens that all of the shoes were right in my range. But even then, I can't say it was a free for all to sign up to buy all of the shoes up for auction.

And then I came across "my pair." Manolo Blahnik, pointy-toe tan linen mules with a quaint bow on top. Hmmm. Were we going to be sticking around long enough for the silent auction to close? I might just have to put a bid on these shoes.

And so I did. We stayed long enough to listen to the presentations on the orphanage, and made on last circle to the table with my Manolos. Just me. No one else. $450 shoes at a bargain price of $40.

Going, going, gone. The silent auction closed, they were mine.

And so I sit here today with my most-expensive shoes ever. No one would know the difference, but I'm relishing my Carrie Bradford-esque designer shoes.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Personal chef and manolos? Did you move to Orange County and not tell anyone?

have totally been tempted to price out a chef for stressful nights. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

secretmom said...

omg, that's so cool!

redheadmomma said...

We had a chef do that once or twice - a gift from my mil. It was really wonderful.....

that is SUCH a bargain for those shoes! Holy smokes! I can't wait to see them!

Jen said...

Oh My God! I have died and gone to heaven living vicariously through you. I can't wait to see them. You have to take a picture. ; )

Pen In Cheek said...

LET'S SEE 'EM!!!!!!!!!!!!1