Thursday, April 30, 2009

re-routed: destination puerto rico

I can't even begin to explain how much my head has been spinning since my last post earlier this week. What I thought would amount to a bunch of hype about the swine flu has quickly escalated into real risks of flight cancellations and possibility of border closures.

Nearing two weeks until the wedding, I made the call tonight to re-route our wedding to another "swine-flu-less" destination -- San Juan, Puerto Rico. The itinerary changes were made swiftly as we had a slim window of opportunity to change our airline tickets without a change fee and still get to use our frequent flier miles to get us to the new destination in the Caribbean.

Of course, I'm not sure what this means for our other wedding goers, but given how late in the game it is, I couldn't really manage this decision via consensus. But I did my best to find a place that was affordable for everyone traveling, and feasible for the three various airlines that had to all have routes to the same Caribbean island.

Now the re-booking game is on. The friends are trying to determine new airline itineraries. I need to find us a kick-ass hotel. And most importantly, get a wedding coordinator PRONTO to put together a beach ceremony for May 19th.

Just when you think everything is under control -- pandemic breaks out.

5 comments:

redheadmomma said...

let's hope PR remains swine-free!!!!!!

Laura said...

I've been thinking about you a lot as I've been watching all this unfold! It will all come together when you least expect it to!!

Norbyah said...

hope it's smooth sailing from here on out. wishing you all the best for a happy wedding day and a great trip to puerto rico. it will certainly be a memorable story to tell your kids in the future! we had the press at our wedding - it was the year of the capital killings - the parents of the man who was responsible were members of the church where we were married. the pastor who married us was the family spokesperson. our wedding was referred to on cnn - he told reporters that he had to perform a wedding....strange how things happen. can't wait to see pictures from your big day!
xo

Pen In Cheek said...

Good for you- sounds fantastic! Anyone else would have crumbled under such pressure and strange circumstances, but not you! Take that toro by the horns, baby!

tamih said...

A pandemic is simply no match for your most excellent project management skills!