If a picture says a thousand words -- try three of them. So I'm on a plane tomorrow to Wisconsin to help my mother-in-law "move" out of her apartment there.
She's been back in Wisconsin since July 31st, but talking to her today makes me realize that she really hasn't made any progress on getting things out of there. I suppose I'm not surprised, and so it's going to be up to me to get her stuff cleared out before Monday.
It's really hard for me to understand how someone can live like this, but what's important now is just getting her a fresh start -- a new place close to us, with clean furniture and very few things.
I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the prospect of having to take this on single-handedly. Rick has to work and can't come out, and his mom is just paralyzed by the situation.
I was able to find a junk removal service. They can bring out a huge dumpster to haul everything away -- for a price, of course. They said they could have some manpower help for $25/hr, which is minimal in the whole scheme of things to get her out of this situation.
There's apparently mold throughout the place, and so I've got us a motel room for the next five nights. I told her to check in tonight and I'll be there tomorrow. I'm not even sure she's been able to sort through the pictures and things that she wants to bring back with her. I land in Wisconsin around 2 pm tomorrow, so first thing I'll need to do is assess the situation, order the dumpster and get started on salvaging anything that's important to keep -- which I can't imagine is much at this point.
Most of my life I have dealt with a mother with depression and mental illness, and so it's been easier for me to be empathetic about Rick's mom. That said, I know nothing about hoarding and being that I'm a little obsessive compulsive when it comes to cleaning and organizing, this could possibly be my living hell for the next few days.
Wish me luck. If all goes well, we'll be on a train back here on Sunday and we can leave this disaster behind and get her a new lease on life at 62 years old.
2 comments:
Oh Michele - I am thinking of you and wishing you MUCH good luck. When you get back, if you need a break to talk/vent or just escape, please let me know. Safe travels - you are in my thoughts. xoxo, nicole
Wow! Maybe being a little obsessive you'll find the task a little cathartic and maybe even enjoy watching the chaos transform into some kind of order. Either way you'll need good luck and cocktails! x
Post a Comment