So mom called me at work the other day. Not to talk to me, but to ask me if I was going to see my brother-in-law that night. And if so, if I could ask him something (to see if he would go to Houston and landscape her lawn). I quickly figured out that the purpose of the phone call had nothing to do with me, and that the only reason she called me was because she thinks my sister doesn't return her phone calls.
Mom, let me be clear. I am not Jeff's answering service. If you have something to say to him, then call him yourself.
Got a call this afternoon from mom. Before she could say anything (I couldn't resist), I asked her if she was calling me to leave another message for Jeff.
No, in fact she's calling to tell me that my aunt -- my father's sister and her husband have plans to visit my parents in January. And so the purpose of the call? Could I come down to help with the conversation and be a buffer. Are you kidding??? Let me think about it, ummm. No.
It's not that mom and my aunt don't get along. Not even close. For whatever reason, mom feels completely inferior to Kathy, and is incredibly uncomfortable in talking to her. Something about feeling not as educated, cultured, or a number of other things.
So naturally I'm not going to appease her to fly down in January just to be a conversational buffer. My helpful advice to her? Take this up with your therapist. I bet he'd have some thoughts for you on the subject.
Friday, September 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm proud of you. Really proud, not only of this, but of how amazing you are in spite of the lack of upbringing you got.
Post a Comment