Friday, October 20, 2006

just call me the surrogate

Mom called me at work yesterday because she wanted me to take time off of work and take her on vacation to Hawaii. First of all, I've already got time earmarked for a trip to Europe. Secondly, I'd rather go to Mexico over Hawaii since it's cheaper. And last, I'd rather go by myself than have to spend a week with my mom....alone......at the beach.

Mom: "Why don't you take me to Hawaii?"

Me: "Um, why do you want me to take you to Hawaii?"

Mom: "Beacuse I want to go and your dad won't take me. You have vacation don't you?"

Me: "Well, I am taking three weeks in the spring to go to Europe."

Mom: "But do you have some time left this year to take me to Hawaii? How much would it cost anyway."

Me: "A lot. Especially for you, since you'd have to get there from Houston. Why don't you have dad take you to Mexico for Christmas? Since none of us are coming home, it'd be a great time for you guys to go."

Mom: "Dad doesn't want to go."

Me: "Well, that's the issue. You don't need me to take you somewhere. You need to get Dad to do it."

Mom: "Will you call him for me and tell him to take me?"

Me: "Next time I talk to him, maybe I'll bring it up."

Mom: "Call him right now."

Me: "Mom, I'm working. Gotta go. Will talk to you later."

1 comment:

Pen In Cheek said...

that's a doozy...sounds like you diffused it well.