Wednesday, October 18, 2006

welcome to the neighborhood

For those of you who know me, you'll remember when I was dating J that he had this girl "friend" named Christy, who oddly enough was dating a work colleague of mine. Last summer, the four of us had hung out together, and it was so unsettling.

And then started the gossip chain....if I told J something, it was quite possible that J told Christy, Christy told her boyfriend/my colleague, and then it got back to me via him. Weird.

Let me illustrate:

Me+J
Christy+my coworker

J and Christy talk
Me and coworker talk

Good grief. So high school.

Anyhow, I never was a fan of Christy's. I knew that she'd had some sort of feelings for J, though J always told me that she was just his friend. Regardless, it was evident to me that if she had her druthers I wouldn't be in the picture. In fact, there were times where she would meet up with J at a bar and try to set him up with other girls -- while J and I were still dating.

So when I told him that Christy was hot to trot for him, he feigned denial. I made it clear to him that I didn't trust her intentions, and I'd rather not do the foursome outtings anymore.

So as time went on, Christy got engaged to my colleague, J and I broke up, and then I moved to a new job so I didn't see Christy's fiance/my former colleague any more.

Until today, when he and I had lunch to catch up.

When I saw him, the burning question for me was whether Christy had actually committed to a wedding date. She has -- March 3. Shocker, maybe she finally has let go the wishful thinking of having a relationship with J.

Then he told me that they had bought a house. Where?! Believe it or not, just a few streets away from where I live. Are you kidding me?! What are the odds?

So now he wants to have us over (me and R). Hmmm. Still too weird. Go hang out with J's friend Christy and have her tell him all about my new boyfriend. Yeah, I don't think so.

That's just nothing but drama waiting to happen, and I'm so not in the business of opening another Pandora's box. But I'm sure it's just a matter of time that I run into her at the dog park, the grocery store, the movie theater, or any number of other places in my neighborhood.

2 comments:

Pen In Cheek said...

Be sure to pee on the dog park, grocery store, and movie theater to mark them...THEY'RE YOURS!

redheadmomma said...

that is strange, I agree. I'm sorry she's living so close, but this is a big town (I'm ignoring the fact that you ran into all your exes in one week) :)