Wednesday, October 04, 2006

one year ago -- my aussie adventure

Has it really been a whole year since I took three weeks off of work and traveled around Australia? I can hardly believe it.

As I happily reminisce on all of the fantastic experiences, I thought I'd re-post some excerpts from my favorite memories.

October 5, 2005 - Bushwalking from the Tour Bus

This morning I woke up not knowing where I was. For a moment, I thought I was in Seattle until I realized I needed to meet the tour guide outside my hotel at 7:30a for a small group tour to the Blue Mountains, about an hour outside of Sydney... After a little coaxing from one of the other tourists, I knelt down near one of the kangaroos for my photo opp, and proceeded to pet him. Of course, that freaked out the kangaroo out and he jolted, whacking me in the leg with his very strong tail.

October 7, 2005 - Reliving the Hey Day

Tonight was the night I was meeting up with my former classmates from ISKL (International School of Kuala Lumpur). It had been nearly 15 years since I saw them and I was looking forwarding to meeting up with them at a Malaysian restaurant on King St Wharf.

Mia ordered a great selection of malay dishes. I had forgotten many of them and as I scooped some ikan bilis (something like dried sardines) on my plate, Sarah leaned over and asked me if I ate ikan. I didn't realize what it was and so I opted to pass on it. The roti canai, satay and other dishes were delicious.

It was so much fun to spend the evening reconnecting with everyone, catching up and reminiscing over stories from yesteryear. It made me remember how much fun I had in high school in Malaysia, and for a moment, it was almost like being back at ISKL again.

October 10, 2005 - Paradise Found

As we pulled into Port Douglas, I realized how small-town it really was. One main street in town with all of the restaurants and shops. And I was thrilled to see my hotel here, the Hibiscus Gardens. A little unassuming from the outside, but as you walk in, its luscious greenery is inspired by Bali, and there are tropical plants everywhere. The pool at night looks very cozy, with tiki torches lining the walkway.

I decided to walk up to the lookout point just above town. On the outskirts of the main tourist area, there are not really any good pedestrian-friendly walkways to the lookout, so I stayed on the edge of the steep, winding road, making my way to the top. I wasn't sure how far it was, but considering how compact Port Douglas was, I didn't think it would be very far. Added bonus -- I got a good workout trucking it up the steep incline. I couldn't have planned it any better. I made it to the point just before dusk to see the sweeping views of Four-Mile beach that runs along Port Douglas.

October 12, 2005 - Glorious Aquarium

The first dive was in the Agincourt Reef, called Barracuda Bommie. I spent the first ten minutes of the dive focused on getting situated and trying to slow my breathing down. There was a moment as I descended where I thought I may not go through with the dive. Although it's been a least a week since my head cold, there's still some fluid in my ears and the pressure on my ears was excruciating as I tried to equalize them the deeper I went. I finally got to a point where I felt like I could go on with the dive and decided not to abort.

I'm so glad I did. The coral and sea life was beautiful, and just as I had started to really get into the dive, I realized that I was nearing the end of my air supply and would be going to the surface shortly. What was really neat though, was that there was also a marine biologist diving with our group who videotaped our dive. So albeit an expensive souvenir, I purchased a DVD of our first dive. While watching the footage, I realized how much I flail my arms about when I am diving. I may not be the most graceful diver, but I had a lot of fun.

The second dive of the day was even more exciting. It was along a reef wall called Trigger Fish City. We swam through huge coral boulders, even getting to touch an anemone and a sea cucumber. Apparently there was a white tip reef shark, but it wasn't until after the dive was over, that I learned that I had missed seeing it. They're not aggressive. I saw one several years ago when I was diving in Hawaii. These sharks just sit at the bottom and sleep.

There's just nothing like swimming in your own aquarium.

October 19, 2005 - Rat's Nest...er Rottnest Island

One of the things I had wanted to do while in Perth was go to Rottnest Island and bike around. In my mind it would be an ideal day, blending sunshine, beach and even a little good-for-your-heart exercise. With the days ticking away and the wedding activities heating up, I thought today would be one of my last opportunities to set out on a day trip.

I hadn't eaten all day, so I sat down at a beachfront cafe and ordered fish and chips. Once my food came, I started to notice a group of seagulls that sat on the edge of the wall next to my table, eyeing me. I knew what they were after my lunch. I scarffed down my chips and some of my fish, all the while having a stare down with the gull as it pushed its limits by stepping on the table. In some weird dimension, it and I were having a showdown, and it would be a matter of time before the bird and I were staring eye to eye.

I was full, and still had a full fish fillet sitting on my platter. And then out of the corner of my eye I see a quokka (oversized Australia rat-like creature), about the size of a raccoon, scurrying under the tables looking for scraps. I squatted down to take a photo, and within seconds, the bird had its victory, swiping the filet of fish off of my plate, signaling the other birds that my plate was now a free for all. With the filet gone, and the seagulls in combat over it, the others swooped in the finish off my salad. "Yes, thank you, I am done with this plate."

October 21, 2005 - Blending of the Clans

The ceremony was beautiful. It was a blend of Scottish and Irish tradition -- the men all wearing the kilts, some of the women wearing the fascinators, and the Costa Rican Father who couldn't seem to pronounce Gillian and Donncha's names correctly. In his thick accent, they were Gill-e-upronunciation (real pronounciation: Jill-ean and Don-nicka). The Father was quite entertaining, cracking all sorts of jokes throughout the ceremony.

The reception was fantastic. The wedding was small -- only about 85 people and so it was quite a cozy group of people. Gillian and Don had selected a live Beatles cover band, which was a hit with all of the guests, young and old. Nothing like seeing grandma jiving to "Back in the USSR."

The reception ended with me catching the bouquet. I was amused that I watched it hit the ceiling and then bounce to the dance floor. With glass in hand, and aided by the slow reflexes of the other women around me, I was able to snag the "cherished" prize.

I'm telling you, those Irish and Scots know how to throw a good party.

1 comment:

Pen In Cheek said...

Can't believe it's been a year!

You did a great job blogging this trip...I have a lot to learn from you :)