Tuesday, November 14, 2006

hostage

It's unbelievable how there's no respect for people's time. I was lied to, jerked around, all the while waiting for my new, highly anticpated mattress to get delivered on Saturday.

Macy's had called on Friday evening to let me know that my mattress would be delivered between 1:30 and 3:30 pm. Perfect! I can still have breakfast with my girl friend who I haven't seen in forever, and then I can do laundry, chores around the house while I wait for the delivery.

So I made progress, doing nearly four loads of laundry while I waited during the window of time I had been told. And then I got a call -- "They're running an hour behind. They should be at your place by 4:30pm." No problem, I can stick around here for another hour. R was taking care of his own chores, and we'd just plan to get together afterwards.

4:30 rolled around and I looked at the phone, and it rang. "They won't be able to make it to your house until 5:30pm. They are running behind today." Of course, why wouldn't they be?

And then it was 5:30. By then, I had finished my "chores" and had pretty much caught up on my Tivo. The phone rings...."The weather has been really bad and they're not going to be able to make it until some time between 7 and 8." They better god damn make it today!!! I am not waiting around any more for my overpriced mattress.

And now I was cranky...hungry and realizing that any plans for doing something Saturday night had been shot to pieces. R finally came over (to ensure adequate male protection from strange bed movers). And as "promised" the mattress movers showed up at 7:30pm.

In and out. Out with the old mattress (good riddance -- part of the breakup settlement with M) and in with the new. Threw on some sheets, all within 15 minutes. So if it doesn't take that long, what on earth took these guys so long??

Now that I've got a few nights under my belt in my new bed, I couldn't be happier. The thick 14" mattress has added an additional 5" to my already-tall bed. I almost need steps just to climb into my princess-in-the-pea bed.

Me thinks I might like to spend the rest of my week here in bed. But alas, I cannot. Wish I was being held hostage by my bed now.

No comments: