Tuesday, November 28, 2006

ode to red

I was thinking back to when I was a little girl and how it was so important to know and share your favorite things -- your favorite song, your favorite number, your favorite color, and even who your favorite friend was (BFF). I vaguely remember that in those grade school years, I had a divine attraction to the color red. I loved everything red.

And then somewhere along the way, favorites lost their luster. There wasn't a favorite movie any more, but rather lots of favorite movies. I didn't have a favorite band any more, I had developed an appreciation for all sorts of groups. I didn't have a single best friend, I had surrounded myself by so many wonderful, different friends. And color, well, my favorite color too seemed to fade into the ever popular shades of navy blue, forest green and anything else that was on the more acceptable color palate at the time.

I hadn't really thought about my ultimate favorite anything in a while, and then it dawned on me. I do have a favorite color, whether consciously or not. As I sit in my livingroom, folding up my red linens for my bed, I gazed at my Christmas tree decorated in red and silver baubles, garland, and tree skirt. Glancing over to my window, the treatments are a deep shade of red, matching almost perfectly, the red area carpet in the center of my livingroom. Little accents of red lie around my livingroom -- red candles, red flowers, red decorative bowl. The common theme in my wall decor is red -- the red frame around the mirror, the red matting on the picture trio, the reddish flower image stretched across the canvas. And as I finish my laundry and put my clothes away, I see a familiar color. Red sweaters, red t-shirts, red button ups. Wow, I wear a lot of red. Not to mention three pairs of red shoes, my red handbag, the red scarf, my red undies. You've got the gist. Even my blog them is a variation of red. Pink was the best I could do since red isn't very reader friendly.

So I guess I do have a favorite color. It never really changed. It was always there, masked behind what I thought should be my favorite color du jour. And from the time I was a little girl, it has always been my special color.

Isn't it nice to realize that although as people we grow up and change, there really are parts of us that withstand time and remain unchanged. Now, I wonder if 7 is still my favorite number?

1 comment:

redheadmomma said...

I absolutely love this post. :)