Wednesday, December 06, 2006

out of left field

I had a meeting this morning with someone who I'd worked on a project with months ago. He has since moved into a new role and wanted to set up a "networking" meeting with me. I wasn't too keen on spending an hour with this person, but agreed.

He wanted an update on a project that we have in progress and wanted to bounce some ideas off of me on some things that he's working on. And I was relieved to see that the conversation was coming to a close....and then the question out of left field.

He: Well, before I leave there's another thing that I wanted to ask you. But given something you had said earlier in the conversation, I'm still going to ask any way.

Me: (thinking) Uh oh. This can't be good.

He: So as I mentioned I'm getting divorced, and I find you to be an intelligent, very pretty person. And now knowing that you have a boyfriend, I just wanted to let you know that in case you ever are back on the market.

Me: (face turning bright red) Thanks, that's really sweet. Yes, I'm in a committed relationship and very happy.

He: Sorry to have embarrassed you (referring to my red face). Well, I hope this doesn't impact our professional relationship.

Me: No, not at all. Best of luck to you. And keep me posted on that project that you are working on.

He: (as he steps out of my office and turns around) I just moved here 10 months ago and am new to the area, so it's really hard to meet people. If you know anyone who would be a good match for me, let me know. Or if there are any things that I could get involved in to meet people, could you keep me in mind?

Me: Sure, no problem. (face starting to regain natural color)

Wow. Now that was unexpected. Flattering, but really weird.

2 comments:

Pen In Cheek said...

You hot ticket, you.

I don't think it's random that people are approaching you and you're running into exes, etc. You are radaiating such joy and love over your new, awesome relationship that people are attracted to you more than ever!

redheadmomma said...

I second what Janya said! :) That must have taken quite a lot of courage for that guy to ask you. Definitely keep your ears open for him.