Monday, January 08, 2007

beaux's recovery & my resolve

Thank goodness it's over. I can rest easy now. Beaux is feeling much better, thanks to some very bland dog food and some meds. In fact, once he came home from the vet, he seemed to be doing much better, so the last few days have been spent monitoring and being very cautious of what he eats or where he goes. So much so, that we left him at home when we took Zoe to the dog park yesterday. I couldn't fathom going through that again if Beaux picked up another bug.

Saturday was incredibly productive. I was wide awake at 7:30 am, and raring to go. Feeling like there was so much to do, I couldn't sleep much longer. I'd planned to steam clean the carpets after Beaux's incident, and after thinking about spot cleaning vs industrial-whole-house cleaning, I decided it was worth the effort to do the whole thing, top to bottom. And while we were at it, clean Rick's carpets too. I couldn't believe, for one, that the spots came out of my carpets. But also, how clean the rest of my livingroom and bedroom carpets got after a good round of cleanser, steam and water.

Sunday was a much different story. We were barely, if at all productive. I think the rigor of the day before had put me into a deficit. Sat around until 2 pm in my pajamas until we decided to go to the dog park. You just have to have lazy days once in a while.

We also watched "An Inconvenient Truth" over the weekend, which was really good. It's fascinating to see the compelling evidence of how quickly the earth is showing the results of years and years of growing populations and the increase in pollution. Now I'm no treehugger (bonafide SUV driver), but it did make me pause and wonder how the heck we're going to get out of this mess, if it only takes a few years for polar icecaps to melt and for the coastal areas of many populated countries to be underwater.

Another highlight was watching the Seahawks win against Dallas. I can't even claim that I am a fair weather fan. I'm not much of a fan for any professional sports, but as we were having dinner, the game was on, and to feel the excitement in the restaurant intensify as the end of the game drew near. To see that Seattle was able to pull off a 1-point lead, and to feel the adrenaline as Dallas attempted to take the lead. Rick called it. "What we need is a bloopers moment." And there it was, the fumbled play and the deal was sealed. Now this is the way I like to watch sports.

To cap off the weekend, yesterday we celebrated our 6 month anniversary. We'd hoped to do it in style by having melt-in-your-mouth filet mignon and NY strip steak skewers doused in a gorgonzola and sun-dried tomato sauce at Jak's. But somewhere along the line, knowing that it would be a long wait to get seated and we had some errands and chores to do (change windshield wipers on my car & change headlight bulbs on Rick's car) we opted for the ever easy, ever yummy Jersey Mike's subs. How's that for a fancy, schmancy dinner.

So what's on the docket this week? Most likely it'll be quiet on the blog front. Work and personal schedule is pretty busy. I did order the bike trainer off of eBay this week, so that should be here by Thursday. I'll make sure to keep you posted on how that works out...mostly to make me accountable and keep me honest on my resolve to be more active and fit.

I also have the cleaning, purging, organizing & donating itch, so this weekend Tami is coming over to help me jump start the process by going through my closet and having a "What Not to Wear" exercise. Must be devoid of all emotional attachment. Clothes never worn, or older than 5 years must go....

Once that's done, I'm determined to tackle the rest of my drawers, closets, nooks and crannies for all the other unnecessary "things" that clutter up my house.

1 comment:

Pen In Cheek said...

I'm all for a total shake down...out with the old, in with the new.

Nothing like a poop parade to get you to strike while the iron is hot. Now's a good time to rid the closets (and our minds) of all the things that are vexing our spirits :)