First of all, I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and concerns, and to Redhead Momma for graciously offering the use of their Bissell steam cleaner.
I got the update mid-day today from the vet. The good news is that the x-rays didn't show any signs of blockage (although the official results will be in tomorrow). The bad news is that the x-rays still show a lot of gas and diarrhea coming down the intestinal tract. So it looks like I will have to deal with this for a few days longer, albeit I'll be much more thoughtful about where Beaux sleeps tonight. Sorry, bud, but for my sanity, you're sleeping in the laundry room with the hardwood floors. All I can muster after an hour straight of carpet cleaning this morning.
Beaux's looking much more energetic tonight. I'm not sure what bug he picked up, but I have to believe the worst is behind us for now. The vet recommended feeding him some bland food.
Vet: Do you cook? (Pulling out a piece of paper with instructions.)
Me: Um, no. Don't cook for me, so won't be cooking for him. (As I read over the menu items of chicken, rice, etc)
Vet: Ok, well we can recommend some dry and wet food, your pick.
Me: By the can should work. (Thinking to myself: Good grief, how lame am I that I can't even commit to cooking up some rice?)
So I walked out of there with two prescriptions for the diarrhea and vomiting and 6 cans of food for ultra sensitive stomachs. This should last us for a few days.
Figuring that he still hasn't eaten all day, I was anxious to get him home, fed and medicated. The vet said it could take up to 24 hours for the pills to kick in. I can only hope it works sooner than that. I opened up a can of the dense dog food. Yep, looks like spam and rice. Good on ya, Beaux. You might enjoy this after all that dry dog food you've been upchucking. Try and keep it down this time.
He's a couple of pounds lighter than he was a few weeks ago, but no real concern there since he's got some meat on his bones. He licked his bowl clean and kept going back to see if more appeared. Mental note: Make sure he doesn't go outside in search of stray poop to supplement his dinner. I suspect that's how we got into this mess in the first place.
Pills have been ingested and food has been consumed. Now it's just wait and see.
I may just wait before I being to steam clean the carpets in case of any additional unforeseen and unpreventable episodes occur. Wish us luck.
Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ooh, ooh, I know, I know! Go by Safeway on the way home and pick up some of their cooked rice from the chinese counter. I do that when I'm feeling particularly lazy and D's making a stirfry.
I hate making rice too. Glad to hear that pup is feeling better, sorta kinda, hope last night was okay.
Post a Comment