Sunday, January 28, 2007

the cup runneth over

Rick went out this morning to play a round of golf and so I took the opportunity to get some things done around the house. I've been super productive lately -- ever since I cleaned out my closet, I have been a mad woman, cleaning every nook, cranny and closet in the house. Watch out Goodwill, I've got a truckload coming.

Anyhow, I got on my bike trainer this morning for a little while and was invigorated to get some other things done. Time to clean the hot tub. It had been awhile since I'd cleaned it out, and even longer since I had cleaned the filter.

While the dogs ran around outside, I shuffled in and out of the house to the hot tub, dumping in the allotted chemicals. I pulled out the filter, and began filling up the sink in the kitchen to let it soak in the cleanser and proceeded to head back out to clean the surface edges of the hot tub. Man, there's a lot of gunk around the edge. Gross!

As I walked back into the kitchen, I heard it...splashing water. And then I SAW it. The waterfall flowing from my kitchen sink, onto my floor, and puddling up under my sink, dishwasher, refrigerator and slowly making it's way to the back door.

Oh shit!

I quickly ran over to the sink to shut it off. Plunged my hand into the water to unplug the sink, scalding my hand with the hot water. And then frantically running upstairs to get as many towels as I could find.

I was so worried that the water was going to seep between my pergo planks and warp the floor. Redoing the floor is not in the cards right now. Fortunately, because of Andrew's shoddy workmanship on the cabinets when he installed them three years ago, I was able to pull off the toe kick of the sink's cabinet and shove a towel under there.

I was also able to pull out the fridge (which has wheels -- thank God), and soak up more water. Eight towels later, I was breathing a sigh of relief. Catastrophe averted.

Who needs to get your heart rate up on a bike trainer when you can turn your kitchen into a lap pool?

No comments: