I'm not sure what to do. I'm not even sure what exactly has changed, but Beaux is really trying my patience right now. Just in the last week or so he has taken to pooping in the house. And at times right in front of me!!
It's the oddest thing. He gets let out, and yet he still manages to sneak around a leave little turds on my carpets.
My first inclination was, "great, this is the beginning of the geriatric stage" -- where all bowel functions are uncontrollable. But, yet...he's not peeing in the house.
Another thing that we've been doing is trying to break him of a nasty, nasty unspeakable habit...poop eating.
A few weeks ago he must have enjoyed a smorgasbord of excrement, because as Rick and I were watching tv, Beaux started to hurl. I hadn't really seen it, but I heard Rick gasp and then run out of the room gagging. At that point I knew it wasn't good. Beaux had upchucked poop. Ghastly, disgusting, most vile thing I have ever, ever, ever had to clean up.
From then on we were determined to make sure he didn't consume "recycled" food. I began putting a muzzle on him when I let him out in the backyard. Now, I'm sure you're asking, "why on earth don't you just clean up the poop when it's put there?" As much as I want to and try, with two dogs around the house these days, the frequency and the soggy days, it just isn't always something I can keep up with.
Beaux has revolted against the muzzle, and has paid me back by wrestling his muzzle into the ground, and consequently into piles of smeared poop. I give up.
Even with going out into the backyard with him on leash and guiding him tightly, he can still manage to do a drive by pick up on the way back into the house, smacking his lips all along the way. Gag!
So what's up with the pooping in the house? We think he's getting back at us. For keeping him on such a restricted diet, for muzzling him, for having Zoe take over his domain, for not being around enough, for all the many things that have upset his apple cart.
I hope Beaux gets over this rebellion phase fast, because my patience won't withstand this for long.
Friday, March 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think, sadly, he is getting old. Certainly, he could be torqued about Zoe, separation, etc., but I think he's getting old and losing some faculties. He may have lost some bowel control, which, pissed off or not, is not an act of revenge. It may be worth having the vet look at him, but I know you just went through that.
I'm not sure about eating the poop. The less available it is, the less he'll do it, but I know you can't follow his butt with a baggie 24/7.
Maybe he could be crated in the living room while you all are hanging out. That way he can see and hear you and be part of the crowd, but not puke up his crap in an unconfined manner.
Hope I don't sound preachy. Just trying to give you some ideas. I feel your pain. Dogs often have a mainline to our last nerve. Hang in there...he loves you so much and would do better if he could :)
Post a Comment