Wednesday, March 14, 2007

change around every corner

Must be the season. Change is in the air -- but all goodness.

One year in my job and we're celebrating with an office move. Nothing too spectacular, just across the parking lot to another building. Sadly I'm losing my window office as my seniority has dropped a couple of notches with the additional of a couple of new team members. But for me, I try to look at it with the "glass half full" perspective. During the summer I won't realize how nice it is outside and gaze wantonly out of the window wishing I were elsewhere, and during the winter, I won't wallow in self pity on how dark and miserable it is outside.

On the job front, I also have a new person to manage. My kind of job doesn't usually have the luxury of having a "team" underneath to support me, so I'm thrilled to have someone now who works solely on my projects and is basically the logistics/execution arm that I've so sorely needed for so long, leaving me to focus on the more meaty stuff.

And seasonal change wouldn't be much without it also carrying through to the relationship.

Rick has decided that his current gig as a traveling therapist has run it's course, and he's ready to settle into a longer-term job (albeit less pay perks). He's been a "traveler" for several years now, and he's itching for some stability. He got a job offer at a small, private hospital in North Bend and he's beyond ecstatic to be going there. He finishes up his current assignment at the assisted living facility this week and we'll be popping the champagne bottle this weekend. I'm so thrilled to see that he is committing to putting down roots here. He's been such a wandering soul for so long, and it's really a new chapter for him in his life.

I'm also looking forward to next Monday. It's Rick's 37th birthday and I'm surprising him with a nice dinner out at the Icon Grill. I don't think he's been there before and it should be great food and good ambiance. I also have his birthday present all set aside for him. When we were in Lanesboro in December, I saw a limited edition print by a local artist of his town. When I got back to Seattle, I ordered it and then sent it off to get matted and framed, just waiting for this very occasion to surprise him with it. I think he'll be moved beyond words when he sees it. He has such a strong connection to his hometown and this print will be his reminder of his home, family and friends. Can't wait to give it to him!

And then there's the exciting development. I think I mentioned that Rick had been staying at my place. We'll he's still here. He hasn't stayed at his own place since the Oscars Party, and it's been wonderful. We've really had a chance to settle into routine, while still giving each other the ever-so-important space needed during the week. The dogs have also loved every minute of it now that they aren't isolated all day waiting for either one of us to get home. So with the new job in North Bend, and the progression in our 8-month relationship, we're now serious about making plans for us to live in the same place. Since he has to give two months notice, it looks like we'll have it situated before we head to Europe in June. Of course, this will get much more interesting when my whole family is our here to visit in August. Mom lives in absolute denial and there will be no way she will be able to hid her head in the sand when she realizes Rick's casa es mi casa. :)

1 comment:

Pen In Cheek said...

I remember last June, driving back from Desert Aire, talking about men, love, and relationships (in between convenience store stops for more snacks). Three weeks later you met Rick! Seems like you have been happiest ever since. It's been fun seeing you two grow together and I can't wait to see what the future brings!

Even with all the changes in our lives, promise me we will dance on tables for your birthday at least once more in our lives :)