The anticipation of our trip to Europe is killing me. I close my eyes and I can imagine every minute of what it might be like when we are there. Walking every block, seeing all of the different sites. Checking out the unique dishes each culture offers. The music, the art, the architecture. The sun. Oh yes, the sun. Time without deadlines. Doing what we want, when we want. Yes, I realize I have a month to go, but I'm in this space of wanting time to go by fast so we can be on our way vs. the realizing that I have a million and one things to do both personally and professionally before we take off.
All of this trip planning has stirred up some latent hopes and dreams for me. I took a call earlier this week with a company that wanted my business. But instead of talking to them with the intent of thinking of what they could do for me now, my filter was more like, "hmmm, I think I need to keep them in the Rolodex." Why? They're a consulting business in my field that is headquartered in London and have offices in various parts of the United Kingdom.
I told Rick about my "2 year plan" and he quipped back, "So will you get to come home on the weekends?" No, silly, you're coming with me.
I've always had a plan to work internationally. I grew up overseas, went to an international school and since then have vowed that one day I would re-enter the global community by getting a job outside of the US. Timing has just never been right.
At one point a couple of summers ago, I was trying to work on a transfer to Paris through my employer, and despite my eagerness to take French and be "fluent" when the opportunity arose, things just didn't pan out. And good thing, since I met Rick the following year. Again, all about timing.
We still have some hurdles to jump before we're ready for a big change like that, but I'm a planner and it takes me time to be mentally ready to embrace such a big change. There's a reason why it's taken me 18 months to plan the vacation to Eastern Europe. And...it's not just about me any more. I need to take Rick's hopes, wants and dreams into consideration. Fortunately he knows how important this is to me, and has been supportive.
Who knows if it will ever come to fruition, but it gives me something to plan for, hold on to and hopefully some day soon, seize the opportunity to take a cool job in a vibrant city. And afford ourselves the ability to see the rest of the world in a way we'd never get to do being based here in the US.
Maybe if we really do make it a goal for 18 months - 2 years from now, perhaps this dream could be our life for a few years.
In the mean time, I've got a vacation to plan for, so that will keep me busy for now. But I know I'm going to need something else to come home and plan for. That's just who I am...
Friday, May 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment