Wednesday, May 30, 2007

tick tock...time's running out

And there's still no passport for my brother. Good grief. Am I the only person who is stressing out about this? Last week I emailed my Dad the information to the Passport agency and what he needed to do to find out the status of Richard's passport.

He filled out the online form and got a response with the passport locator number saying that it was in process and was 1/3 complete. What the hell? There's a cover, a back and a page with his picture. Does it really take 10 weeks to just get 1/3 complete?

So then I instructed Dad to call the automated line. He got put on hold. And 2 1/2 hours later, he had to finally hang up because he had to get going.

We're T-5 days now (with only three business days between now and our departure). And I'm getting anxious. I looked up the Houston Passport Agency and sent my Dad the instructions for emergency passports.

The Houston Passport Agency only serves customers who are traveling, or submitting their passports for foreign visas, within 14 days. To apply at the Agency, you must schedule an appointment by calling toll-free at 1-877-487-2778, 24 hours/day. If you are not traveling, or needing to submit your passport for foreign visas within 14 days, you must apply at a Passport Application Acceptance Facility.

I even called and to no avail. "The passport agency automated appt line is receiving high volumes of calls. If your trip is within 14 days you will need to call in the evenings or on the weekend."

I told Mom that she better be on the phone all night tonight until she gets through. Wish us luck.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Oh my god, how stressful. I saw something about this on the news recently. There seems to be an influx of applications, not sure why. I'll cross my fingers.

Pen In Cheek said...

What's the worst case scenario? That he wouldn't get it in time and couldn't go?! YIKES! Even if it came late, could he still fly out and meet you there?

You must be totally freaking out!

Should I light some incense or something?!?

CheleTales said...

UPDATE: I talked to Dad tonight and he got a response from the passport agency. They said they would finish the passport tomorrow (Thursday) and Fed Ex it (meaning by Friday or Monday). I told him that if he doesn't have passport in hand by Monday 10 am, he better hightail it to the Federal Building and kick someone into high gear.

I so don't need this stress right now. I think I'll take a Tums to placate my ulcers.