I'm not sure why, but the last few weeks my dreams have been incredibly vivid and strange. There's been one particular, disturbing theme that keeps surfacing.
Da' Plane, Boss, Da' Plane
I'm not sure if it's because I've been wrapped up in the season finale of Lost, or that I'm getting ready to travel halfway around the world. But twice in one week, I've had dream variations where I am on a plane which then meets it's inevitable fate of crashing. All the while, knowing the plane is going to crash, I'm experiencing a strange sense of calm and thinking of how I can get myself out of the situation.
One of these dreams I can still remember slightly. It was a huge trans-Atlantic plane and for some strange reason, while seated, I could see out of the cockpit window. We had several attempts at take-off but each time, the plane didn't have enough momentum. Finally the plane was airborne and in front I could see the Chrysler tower with it's tall spire. The plane didn't clear it, and it dove downward to the left into the water. In my head I was thinking pragmatically in the moment -- I have my seat belt on, we'll hit the water, and then I'll find my way out. Dream then ends.
Stealin' My Money
And then there of course, is the reoccurring theme of credit card/identity theft. Every time I have this dream, the scenario is very similar. I've left my purse and wallet unattended somewhere, and in that time someone either steals my credit cards out of my wallet (and leaves the wallet there) or I can tell that someone has been rifling through my credit cards (but has left them there), leaving me to believe that they've captured the account numbers and have decided to use the numbers for online purchases.
Each time, I am panicked trying to remember my credit card information, contact the banks and get everything resolved before too much damage is done. Last night's dream was no different. But this time the perpetrator was someone I work with. I came back to my purse to find my wallet, with my cards misplaced in the various slots. I immediately knew someone had been in my purse. I then pick up my cell phone to call the bank and they have a lead for me. They have a voice recording of the person who is using my account fraudulently. The woman is sitting on hold on the phone (not knowing that it's being recorded) and she's talking to someone about me, and badmouthing me. Even making fun of the clothes that I wear. Not sure why it was this particular person that I work with that ended up in this role in my dream, but I do find it to be a fascinating twist to the typical unknown bad guy.
Why this dream? I am deathly afraid of someone holding my finances hostage. I've been warned about the pickpocketing epidemic in Prague, and so I've photocopied my credit cards and passports so that I have them in case the originals get stolen. Maybe last night's dream was because I stayed up late paying bills. Who knows. All I know is that it took me a little while this morning to wake up and realize I wasn't dealing with a crisis.
Tuesday, May 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Your brain is definitely working out all the unknowns that lie ahead.
I can pretty much guarantee that you will have a safe and happy trip sans any drama that your dreams are presenting...and that's a money-back guarantee from me to you!
Post a Comment