Saturday, September 22, 2007

blame me

Yesterday was Day of Caring for United Way of King County, and so my colleagues and I got together and did a volunteer project at the Greenlake Bathhouse weeding, mulching and planting around the trail.

After several hours of exhausting, back-breaking work, we finished up so that we could lunch-n-drink at Duke's. For some reason, I decided to drive there instead of walking, and ended up having to park a couple of blocks away across a pretty busy road.

Cars continued to whiz by as I stood along the roadside waiting for the traffic to clear before I darted across the street, unmarked for a pedestrian crossing. Then a car stopped for me. I looked the other direction just to make sure that one ill-fated move would not turn me into a hood ornament for a car coming the other direction. All clear.

As I was halfway across the street, I heard the sound of squealing tires and then of crunching metal. Car #3 slammed into Car #2, while Car #1 waited for me to cross the street. I looked up for a brief second to realize what had happened. I wasn't sure if I had to stick around as a witness or not, but decided to pick up my pace and get to the restaurant just a block away.

Man, that sucks, and I feel partly to blame, since the only reason that fender bender happened was because I want to cross the street. Oh well. At least it wasn't my car in the accident. :)

No comments: