Wednesday, November 21, 2007

on the holiday weekend docket

I'm still on the clock today, technically. But it's so incredibly slow at work, I'm going to "work from home" -- which essentially means check email, but not much more. Andrea and Jeff are brining over Hunter this morning, and starting today, we're going to have three crazy dogs ruling the house. Not sure how I'm going to survive until Monday. :) I really need to dog-proof the house better, and hide all of the breakables and eatables. Hunter can get to places our two can't.

Other than that, I'm the airport shuttle for Andrea and Jeff today as well, picking them back up on Monday. Rick and I have been invited to spend Thanksgiving with his friends Ashley and Jerry and her family. Which is great since we've spent time with her family on several occasions and they're very welcoming.

There's a band that Rick wants to check out in Everett on Friday night. The band is looking for a guitarist, and since the band he was attempting to jam with fell apart before it ever got started, he's hoping to find a group that's already established. He's so excited to be playing again, that he spends most of his free time looking up Gibson Les Paul electric guitars online with hopes to upgrade soon.

Saturday we've got disco bowling with Tami and Tom and Rick's friends Brian and Kirsten who he worked with at a hospital a few years ago. That should be a great time, as long as I can stay up late. Bowling starts late around here!

I figure I should probably consider some Christmas shopping too this weekend. I just bought Rick's gift -- so I'm covered there. But we still have to buy for his family, and I'd like to ship that all out before we fly out there. And I'm still undecided how to handle Christmas for my nieces. My brother has added two more to his fold since last Christmas (via the foster care system) bringing his total to six. And my sister Marianne has her two. Part of me just wants to send cash, but I hesitate to do that for my brother's kids since he's been known to spend the money on faucets and things for the house that don't really make it fun for the kids. If you have any ideas, would love them. Especially if there's a family gift that I could get instead of individuals.

Matt's kids are 12, 9, three 3-yr olds, and an infant
Marianne's kids are 3 and an infant

3 comments:

Laura said...

Membership to a zoo, children’s museum, OMSI (not sure where your sibs live).
Gift cards to kid specific stores or places (toy stores, put put golf, *cringe* chucky cheese).

One of my favorite gifts received was a donation in our family’s name to an organization that gives chicks and other animals to poor familys to help them learn to raise sustainable food sources. I can get the org name if you want.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Rick!

redheadmomma said...

Toys R Us gift card, baby. No faucets there. ;)

secretmom said...

memberships are a good idea. also, what about a subscription to netflix or the like--they could get kids and adult movies. restaurant gift certificates, family movies, games. Maybe something they need--like a camera or video camera??? not sure of your budget... Cash in evnvelopes--individaully addressed to each kid :) Happy thanksgiving!