Tuesday, December 18, 2007

dec 17 = christmas

We are so weak. Couldn't wait just a few more days to open up the rest of the presents. Rick called me on his way home from work to tell me about his day and how his manager took the news of his resignation. Not at all surprising, she unconvincingly asked what she and the hospital could do to change his mind. Clearly not anything, especially since she didn't even acknowledge her role in creating the situation. And his spirits were lifted when we received an email from the "Club" saying that they wanted to meet with him for a job there. Absolute reason to celebrate. One door closes, another one opens.

I had to stop off at Costco on the way home to pick up the photos (2007-A Year in Review) for Rick's grandma and family, and then a pit stop at a work function to make an appearance.

Rick said he got my Christmas present in the mail, and so he was going to get it wrapped while I was out running errands and we could open our gifts when I got home. I couldn't think of any reason to delay, so I made a concerted effort to get home as soon as I could.

I walked in the door, barely had a chance to take my coat off and he was anxious to start opening the rest of the gifts, even pointing out the newly wrapped gifts under the tree for me.

We sat down on the couch, and I suggested we first open the ornaments. He got me a beautiful cloisonne dragonfly. He could not believe his ornament -- a handmade guitar from Budapest that I secretly bought while we were on vacation there. That one will stay in its box.

And then onto the main gifts. We both had them in hand and started unwrapping, but he was stalling and I could see that he wanted to see me open mine. The wrapping paper came off, and there was a FedEx box. I opened up the box, and inside was yet another wrapped box. I ripped off the wrapping paper to reveal another FedEx box. I peeled open the box and inside was a smaller wrapped box. I opened what then seemed to be a small, square box. I opened it up and it looked like a jewelry box. The logo on the top looked familiar, but at that moment, I couldn't place it. I pulled out the small case and opened it up. Inside were two beautiful diamond earrings, each almost a half carat. I couldn't believe he had bought them for me. So much money, and I knew that these cost him some mulah. That Les Paul Gibson guitar he wanted? Well, it looks like I'll be wearing them instead. He told me he'd been researching these earrings last year, and then decided to go with the pearl necklace. Now I can see why he freaked out when I came home with my over-the-top 1 carat cubic zirconium earrings.

The paperwork of course accompanied the earrings, so we read through all of the specs on them. He said he specifically picked them out. I can't believe how much effort he put into researching the diamonds. He certainly knows more about cut, color, and clarity than I do now.

After taking out my old fake earrings and replacing them with my new Christmas gift, Rick opened up his gift from me -- a digital video camera. He was so surprised and excited. Now he can tape his golf swing. And he was so thrilled with how compact the camera was. He opened up all of the accessories for it (bag, stand, extended battery) and I started charging the batteries so that we could take it to Minnesota with us in a few days.

Ah yes, Christmas was good to me this year. And despite the below 20 (feels like 8) degree weather, I'm really looking forward to our visit to see Rick's family. I get to meet his cousin who didn't get to come down last year. Rick is going to reconnected with his uncle from his father's side of the family who he hasn't been in contact with or seen in many, many years. He's not in contact with his father, so this a huge deal. And there are friends who we didn't get to see last year that we have plans to see and spend time with this year.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Happy Christmas!!

Pen In Cheek said...

wow! he must really like you :) i had to be married 5 years before i got diamond earrings!

good to know he's a good diamond-picker-outer :)

did he like the golf book?

secretmom said...

They are beautiful, how fun!

redheadmomma said...

You guys are SO LAME opening gifts early!!! And you have my permission to give away the other earrings. :) Can't wait to see them!