Wednesday, January 16, 2008

enlightened

'Member that opportunity of a lifetime that I was lamenting over a few weeks ago? Well, learned some interesting information that pretty much gives me closure on the whole situation.

I thought I was on equal footing and that going head to head, I lost. Apparently I didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting the job. As it turns out, my "nemesis" goes way back with the hiring manager, and so in essence, I was the "token" other candidate so they could check the box.

So when I read the rejection email that said "You have a solid background and have done some interesting work. However, at this point, we are going to pursue another candidate whose background is a better fit with our needs"... what they meant was "Thanks for giving it the good ol' college try, but we already had our person picked for this job. Thanks for playing, try again later."

Oh well, in business it's about your network/relationships. And in this case, it wasn't in my favor. Clearly nothing to be done differently would've changed the outcome of this particular situation.

3 comments:

Laura said...

That, plain and simple, sucks. But glad you have closure on it rather than keeping the stew bubblin'

redheadmomma said...

I think that's good news. because if you were going mano a mano, you're for sure wondering what you did wrong. And turns out that you did NOTHING wrong.

Pen In Cheek said...

thereby leaving you in the running for the real, yet-to-be-known, chance of a lifetime!