A friend from work has been trying to get me to take a trip with her, and last night at dinner, she offered up an idea that actually might be feasible -- a three-week trip in November to Laos and Cambodia, all coordinated through a tour group. The catch? It's a hiking/cycling trip that requires moderate physical capability.
"This trip is rated Moderate [3]. Trip members should arrive in good physical condition and plan to spend 3-6 hours on most days engaged in a variety of activities. Hikes are all on-trail, some through temple complexes, but terrain conditions can occasionally be muddy and uneven and some hikes will include the ascent/descent of numerous stone steps. Our cycling days in Luang Prabang and Angkor are over relatively flat terrain and the group will be accompanied by support vehicle for those choosing to skip particular sections. Our morning paddle in Vang Vieng will be on generally flat water with minimal currents (suitable for beginners). Temperatures on some days may be quite warm requiring participants to focus on staying adequately hydrated. We recommend an exercise regimen beginning at least 2-3 months prior to departure consisting of hiking/walking and cycling in order to prepare for this adventure. The better shape you are in, the more you will enjoy all this trip has to offer!"
I talked to Rick about it last night and he's totally supportive if I go on this adventure vacation. And I think it will be a slow enough time at work that I could actually do this two week eco-trip and end cap it with a week on a Thai beach. I haven't been back over to SE Asia since I left high school in '92, so I'm really looking forward to this. Not to mention I never got to visit Laos or Cambodia when I lived over there.
So if all works out, I have yet another trip to look forward to this calendar year. :)
2 comments:
you should totally do this! you would have a blast and i know you can do it!!
go, chele, go!
Wow, now that looks like an adventure. Can't wait to hear all about it.
Post a Comment