Thursday, April 17, 2008

so random

What better thing to do on a dark, drizzly night than head out with Rick to get his haircut, followed by a quick dinner out. Neither of us were in the mood to cook. As soon as we got home from work (which is pretty late these days), we threw on some sweats and ventured out.

The haircut took way longer than expected and it was near 9 pm before we even could work towards finding some sustenance. We'd planned to go to Red Robin and somehow spaced out before realizing too late we missed our turn, and so with that, our next best, closest option was Chili's. We hadn't been there in forever, and so why not?

Dinner was uneventful until the very end when I for some reason turned around, and kitty corner to us two booths away was a vaguely familiar couple.

"Holly?" That was definitely Dan sitting in the booth facing me. She turned around, and so it was. My roommate from when I moved to Seattle in 1997, and her husband who she married in 1999 and thus ended our roommate status.

Gosh. I hadn't seen these guys in over three years, and to make a long story short, I don't really run in the same social circles that I did when she and I were roommates. That whole Mormon thing, ya know. What's even odder is that they lived over in Ballard which seems farther than Canada to me, and so there was really no rationale explanation for running into them in a deserted suburbia Chili's late on a Tuesday night.

It was so great to catch up with Holly and Dan, and I of course introduced Rick. She told him that I was the best roommate she ever had. It's fun to remember those times. We did have good times back then -- straight out of college and embarking on our careers.

We bid them farewell as their dinners arrived, and it reminded me of the many people I've met along the way. Good to see them again, and hopefully it won't be another three years.

No comments: