Tuesday, July 08, 2008

730 days

Two years ago yesterday, Rick and I met on a blinddate, and since that moment, we haven't looked back. The best thing about having a blog is that I can look back and be reminded of the journey we've had since that day.

07.07.06 "About a Boy" -- "And for the first time in a long time, I was pleasantly surprised to meet someone who was so genuine, fun and dare I say by the end of the evening, I knew there was a spark...I can't wait to see him again. He makes me feel so silly and giddy. Now I'm left with this silly little permagrin. For once, I am optimistic about this one."

07.07.07 "One Year Later" -- "Ironically, our one year anniversary falls on the busiest wedding day of the century. Since then we've had many significant milestones - met his mom, he moved to the Eastside, visited his family in Minnesota, he took a permanent job (instead of continuing to freelance), he moved in, has met all of my brothers and sisters, we traveled for three weeks together. Amazing what a difference a year makes."

07.07.08 - "730 Days" -- It was a quiet night at home, marking our second anniversary. Having to work takes some of the fun out of the day and so I was looking forward to coming home at a decent hour to spend the evening with Rick.

He beat me home and had a balloon and a candle waiting for me. I got a him a book on golf courses around the world. Rick wasn't feeling too well, so he took a short nap while I heated up something for dinner, while the dogs kept me company.

But it wasn't our anniversary celebration we were excited for...it was the season finale of The Bachelorette. I'd hooked Rick on the show, and now he was invested in it too. So at 8 pm he came downstairs to cuddle up on the couch. So that we didn't have to deal with the live tv, we let the Tivo start and spent an hour watching the video I'd made of him golfing at Chambers Bay the day before.

And then we had a full three hours of reality tv bliss ahead of us. We still couldn't believe that DeAnna had sent Jeremy home the week before, and that with Jesse as the dark horse, Jason had to be her final decision. I mean, she's 26 and wants to get married and have three babies by the time she's 30. Not sure that a snowboarder is on that same timeline, and Jason comes with a 3-yr old already. But then again, was she really ready for becoming wife/mother all at the same time?

We enjoyed every minute of the show up until the finale when our jaws dropped to find that Jason was the first one out of the limo for the final rose -- dead knell for him, as the first one is always (except for once) the one to be sent home in shambles, trying to understand how, why. And to make it worse, we felt pained when we saw him drop to one knee and then DeAnna brings him back up just to tell him he's not the one.

Now, don't get me wrong. We liked both Jason and Jesse. So it wasn't a total disappointment. And then when you saw the two of them -- DeAnna and Jesse at the end, and he proposes. Ah so sweet. And the icing on the cake was to have another hour to watch "After the Final Rose" and see them together after the finale had aired.

What better way to spend our anniversary than to watch a six-week romance materialize on screen with a proposal at the end.

2 comments:

Pen In Cheek said...

i think it's 731 when you count the leap year :)

congrats!

gilly said...

I'm a little behind with this commetn but i've been out of the blog loop for a while.
7th of the 7th!! Can never go wrong if it happens on the 7th of the 7th! now i know why you'll never forget my birthday. xx