I'll start with the good news....
My house will not be burning down due to the sparking electricity meter connected to the house. Yes, I'm more than one grand poorer because of it, but certainly, I'm much happier with the peace of mind that I won't come home from work to find the charred ruins of my abode. My brother-in-law really helped out by finding a good, reliable electrician to come out and fix the meter. He said it was pretty rare, but it wasn't anything that was done specifically during the remodel, but rather it just degrades over time. And so the smell of burning rubber and flickering lights is thing of the past.
The bad news....
We took Beaux to the vet the other night and even getting out of the house to go to the vet perked him up quite a bit. I was hopeful that it would just be a few days and he'd snap out of his funk.
The vet did an exam and basically said, "Look, he's an old dog. I can do blood work tests to see what's going on, but it's up to you what you want to do with that information." He's definitely suffering from blindness and likely from senility now. I asked about what should I take into consideration when it comes to making "the decision" and she responded that when he stops eating, drinking and doing the things he loves to do, then it's probably time for us to come to a decision. But in the meantime, we can focus on making him the most comfortable.
Observing him for the last few days, I've seen such a dramatic change. He's still eating well, but he's not even seeing food that falls on the floor. Normally he'd be sucking that stuff up like a hoover. He's also having a hard time keeping his balance (especially in his hind legs) and staying comfortable when laying down. At times he'll just get up and look around somewhat confused. I now have to lead him to go outside to the bathroom or to his bed. I'm coming to the quick realization that he's crossed a point of no return, and so now I'm grappling with when will it be time to do the right thing by him. I want to believe he's still doing "good enough" but I think it's going to be a matter of weeks, not months now.
Friday, December 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I feel for you. Not an easy decision to make at all. We had to decide the same thing with Rolf a few years ago. He'd had a small accident which put the decision right there in front of us but he was heading the same way without the accident. Is he very old? Would any medication make him a bit more 'able' to enjoy life for a while longer? poor doggy. x
Post a Comment