I can't count the number of showers I've been to in my lifetime, and it seems that I keep making the obscure list for co-workers and others who I've never even set foot outside the office with to have a social conversation. So when I got invited to a colleagues baby shower for this past weekend, I was really struggling with whether I should go or not.
On one hand, she's a great gal about to have twins. But on the other hand, it's not like she's in my close circle of friends and would never even make the short list for the important milestones in my own life. But alas, my "be-supportive-to-a-coworker" got the better of me and I went down to Babies R Us to pick up something from the registry. Did I also mention that I think my invite to the shower was more of an afterthought? I believe the shower invitations went out and then someone realized that they hadn't invited the "forgotten" coworker the next hallway over. Neither here nor there....
So on Saturday afternoon, I jumped in the car and ventured 30 minutes north to find the shower location. Of course the driving directions I'd printed out from the Internet left a lot to be desired, and so I was left to my own devices and intuition to navigate to the street address. That is until I found the house and despite my being 30 minutes late, there were absolutely NO cars outside, except one in the driveway. At this point I was confused....did I still have the wrong house??
One phone call answered that question. Shower host: "Didn't you get the email? We postponed the shower until next month." Can't say that I did get that memo. Adding to my feeling of being the odd kid out when the invites were sent. So that's what I get for trying to be accommodating, a ~$40 baby gift and an acquaintance's baby shower where I didn't even make the radar to inform me that it was canceled.
On the 30-minute drive home, I made a new resolve. Unless you are family, and old classmate, or someone I've had lunch, dinner or drinks with, I'm not going to attend your happy celebrations, but rather offer you a nod and verbal congratulations.
As for my own bridal shower to celebrate my upcoming nuptials....I apologize in advance if you made my short list and completely understand if my shower doesn't make your short list. :)
Monday, February 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh GAWD, this is horrible! And a trip to Babies R Us on top of it...that is torture! But now you have new bridal/baby shower boundaries. Never a bad thing. :-)
haha. love this post! it's a con...the whole thing is a ploy for gifts! I totally agree with you... no attendance required (and no gift required either) If it's not the kind of friend you'll either visit in the hospital or at their house shortly after then you're under no obligation. No guilt necessary... you still going to go to the re-scheduled event?
I second that notion. Try living in Utah where there are people having babies every 5 mins.
That's a great resolve! No guilt! Life is tooooo short!
Post a Comment