You'd think with all the party planning (yes, seems more like social event planning than wedding planning) that I'd be wallowing in creativity. Like everything else in my life, pragmatism rules and for me the stress-free world of coordinating a destination wedding, and then three --yes, count them three -- reception-type events has been more of a checklist exercise than an opportunity for me to shake out my creative juices.
I think I've been working in corporate speak for so long, that I sometimes wonder if I have completely lost touch with my non-structured, creative self. I think I find elements of it in spurts, but generally speaking when I'm at the office and the discussion turns to a creative brainstorm, I'm like a deer in headlights. I want so badly to contribute and then I just realize that that particular part of my brain hasn't been tapped into for so long that it needs a little priming. Sadly this blog has been the only creative outlet for me for a while, and even it is getting shafted with my energies focused in other places right now.
I had lunch with an old friend today and she suggested that I take some time for myself and enroll in a creative writing class. You know, that's probably the exact thing I need to do. An excuse to not work inside a box and just let it go without any risk. Of course I have a million other things on the priority list ahead of this, but I do want to dig deep to reach those repressed creative juices before I wake up one day and find that the well has completely dried up.
Friday, March 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Man, you and I are in the same place with this!! I echo your feelings completely - I've actually been thinking that I probably shouldn't write for a living because it is the one thing that "makes my soul sing" and my soul hasn't sung much since I became an internal comms writer some, oh, 10 years ago. We should chat about ways to awaken the creative beast within together...I'd be up for taking a class as well or starting a creative writing group or SOMETHING! Need to shake it up indeed. :-)
Post a Comment