Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"can you come get me?"

For the first time in a long time, I made time for myself and had a lovely dinner with my dear friend Nicole. Nothing like mango mojitos, chips & salsa, some delectable southwest chicken and great company & conversation to make my night.


I'd only been home for about 10 minutes -- just long enough to let the dogs out of the crate -- when my cell phone started ringing. It was my MIL.


MIL: Um yeah, I'm a little embarrassed, but I got lost on my bike. I'm at some Chinese restaurant.


Me: OK. Can you tell me the name of the restaurant?


MIL: Wok-n-Roll. (fictitious name to protect the innocent)

Me: Yep, know exactly where that's at. Stay put and I'll come and get you.


So I jump in the Jeep and head 2.5 miles towards the south end of the next town over, near the interstate. There she sat, all alone in this random Chinese restaurant, her bike chained to a light post. It's not completely sketchy, but I wouldn't say that it's a good place to be hanging out at night.


We finished some tea while we waited for her to get her to-go box, and then loaded up her bike in the back of the Jeep.


MIL: Sorry for being such a bitch the other day.


Me: Oh? Knowing full well that when we had gotten back from Minnesota and I'd asked her how her weekend was while we were gone, she proceeded to say "good" and then slammed her bedroom door.


Me: Well, I guess next time you'll just have to come home before it gets dark.

No comments: