Tuesday, December 07, 2010

channeling 2000

Such a strange occurrence this weekend. We had our work holiday party the other night and it turns out that a new gal who I work with actually knows my husband through his company. Of course, it was a nice "small world" experience and I was glad to know Rick knew someone at the event.

She introduced us both to her husband. At first glance he looked familiar but I couldn't place him. Throughout the evening, Rick was making a new friend. The husband was also a Midwesterner and so the boys spent the evening talking fishing, hunting, snowmobiles, motorcycles....you know the drill.

Since I was "running the show" that evening, I spent a lot of my time attending to the event, while Rick entertained himself. I'd occasionally check in to make sure he was doing OK and not bored out of his mind. As the party came to an end, we all went our separate ways.

It wasn't until the next day that it dawned on me. I thought I figured out how I knew her husband. More than 10 years ago I was meeting a guy friend for dinner and while I waited, I decided to stop in the local REI to kill some time. While there, one of the sales guys struck up a conversation with me. And when my friend arrived, we left the store to go to dinner.

The next day I was at work and I got a call from the guy at REI. He'd seen my name badge (yes, I was lame enough to still be wearing it out in public) and he saw the company that I worked for and my name. He called through the main line and asked me out on a date.

Now, I have to say that in my many years as a single person, there are lots of people who've I've probably gone on dates with that I don't remember at all. But this one was interesting just because of his gumption to track me down to ask me out. I don't recall a whole lot about him, other than his name was Todd. I think the reason we never went out again was because he was significantly older than me (when you are in your mid 20's, someone in their mid 30's feels lots older). The other thing that stuck out in my mind was that for our second date, he'd asked me to go on a mountain biking trip and I just didn't feel comfortable going away on a trip with someone I barely knew.

I can't remember if he never called again or if I just blew him off. Regardless, I had met Todd when I was in the "off phase" of a very on-again, off-again relationship with Michael (aka "M"). And shortly thereafter, Michael and I were on again.

Probably in the next six months, Michael and I took a flight down to Colorado to see his parents. And as I was settling into our seats, I look across the row and I see Todd. Sitting just across the aisle. Awkward to say the least. I'm sure I whispered something to Michael at the time, and I think we even exchanged pleasantries at the baggage claim at the end of the flight.

And so hidden in the recesses of my mind, it all of a sudden hit me. I had gone on a date with my colleague's husband over ten years ago. Clearly well before either of us had met our future husbands. I brought it up to Rick, and he convinced me that it wasn't the same guy and so I was convinced that I was mistaken as well.

Until I ran into my coworker again today. As we were talking about what a fun time we had, and how our husbands are now BFFs, I asked her if her husband had ever worked at REI.

She stopped and looked at me. "How did you know that?"

I said, "I may be stepping over the line, but 10 years ago, I think I went on a date with him."

I told her the story and she laughed and said, "was he an asshole?" I laughed no and reassured her it had been one date and we'd never even kissed. She asked her husband about me, and he couldn't remember me. Clearly I made quite the impression back then. :)

Well, the boys hit it off so well, they exchanged numbers. I suspect that we'll become good friends before too long. What strange inter-connections between us two couples.

1 comment:

gilly said...

ha! The cynic in me says "bollocks!" he totally remembers you and is pretending he doesn't 'cause...well... who knows the workings of a man's mind. I just can't believe he went to the effort to track you down and wouldn't remember that. Unless of course he did that kind of thing all the time. small world! x