Thursday, July 27, 2006

have your people call my people

I love summer! Nine months out of the year, I dream of long, warm days, with waning responsibilities and commitments so that I can enjoy the long-awaited bliss of July and August.

Last year I spent the majority of my summer traveling out of country, and before I knew it, I had completely missed the summer months I cherish so much. Of course, it wasn't that much of a sacrifice when my trips took me to Mexico, Paris, London and Australia all within a six month period.

This summer I intentionally wanted to be here to enjoy, to soak in the 16 hours of daylight -- and frankly, hoping to embrace a more relaxed pace of life. So where is my restful, sleepy summer?

All I know is that it's now August and the count down to dreary weather has begun. One more month of sunshine and then it's a crap shoot.

And what about the down time to do nothing, read a book? Not around here. I quickly forget summer means a jam-packed schedule of BBQs, picnics, weddings, get togethers, and just general socializing.

Having just returned from a week away and feeling that I have not seen my friends in a lifetime, I've been scheduling after hours dinners and drinks. What has struck me is the fact that I'm having to now schedule get togethers three weeks out because every week until then is absolutely packed. In fact, I did double duty -- early happy hour and late dinner, just so that I could catch up with friends. And not to mention I'm venturing into a new relationship and would really like to spend time with R as well. Mental note: Need to make room for R in the social calendar.

Well, if you're on my list of friends that I haven't seen in a while, drop me a line. I'll see if I can shuffle around my calendar so I have more options to offer other than a Wednesday evening in early September. :) Otherwise, I'll see you at your [picnic, wedding, BBQ, bar mitzvah, bachelorette party, or family reunion].

Now isn't this what summer is all about?

No comments: