Tuesday, March 11, 2008

viva las vegas

I've been so heads down in my new job, I almost forgot that Rick and I are heading out of town this weekend to Sin City. Vegas, baby! A friend of his is getting married and so we've booked a very quick weekend getaway. It's his first time to Vegas, and sadly, we're not going to have much time to ourselves to do our own thing.

For what ever reason (March Madness, St Paddy's Day, Spring Break), all of the hotels on the Strip have weekend rates of $300+ a night. Egads! And with two of us flying down, airfare adds up quickly. I couldn't rationalize flying down on Friday night just to pay $300 for a bed to sleep in, so we're flying down on Saturday, getting in midday, and then the wedding is at 5 pm. An overnight stay, and we're back on a plane the next day in the evening. All said, it's totaling up to be over $1,000 -- and we're not even renting a car.

So here's my issue. They're registered. In my mind, $1,000 is a helluva lot of money for someone's wedding that you a) didn't grow up with, b) didn't go to college/school with, c) are not a best man or bridesmaid. So, I'm leaving it up to Rick to figure out what he's want to do about the gift. In my opinion, flying down to be there in person is gift enough.

But I digress...it will be a great time, and hopefully we'll see some rays of sunshine while in the desert.

1 comment:

Pen In Cheek said...

I hope you have a great time! We soooo need to catch up. I can't believe the "other" company called you back again- THEIR LOSS! You sound so happy in your new gig...now go bet on black and do some sinnin' in sin city!