Thursday, December 25, 2008

a date, destination, dress, and a ...

diamond!





















It's official. After two and a half years of dating, Rick and I are engaged. :) We've been talking about it for a little while, and in fact, went about our wedding planning a little backwards.

As soon as I got back from Asia, we booked our airlines tickets and hotel for our destination wedding in Playa del Carmen, Mexico.

Neither one of us are really into the chaos that ensues when you have to involve a bunch of people in the wedding details. No bridesmaids, no flowers, no reception hall, no cake, no invitations. Just me, Rick and perhaps a few friends to witness the ceremony.

And so we have it. We'll be getting married in Playa del Carmen, Mexico on May 19, 2009.





















The "Official" Proposal
Last weekend we met up with a jewelry designer and a diamond wholesaler to pick out the diamond and then design the setting. It was such an awesome experience.

It's going to take some time to get the setting that we designed, so even though we've been telling family and friends about the engagement, I still didn't have a ring on my finger.

....That is until today. Rick made up some story about going to his old condo in downtown to a Christmas party thrown by one of his old neighbors. As it turns out, it was all a rouse to get me to the rooftop of 2300 Elliott so that he could bring me to the place where he first asked me to be his girlfriend (our fourth date nearly two and half years ago). With the Puget Sound in the background and the ring in his pocket, he got on one knee and asked me to be his wife.

Of course I said "Yes!"





















Reminiscing
Being back in Belltown, remembering our first few dates there. It was such a wonderful trip down memory lane.

I think back to when Rick and I met on our blind date (thanks to Stephanie) and how we both knew it was something special.

Rick doesn't get to read this blog, but today I decided to look up the entry from when we first met -- "about a boy."

"I can't wait to see him again. He makes me feel so silly and giddy. Now I'm left with this silly little permagrin. For once, I am optimistic about this one."

Even more interesting to me was the blog post a few weeks before I met Rick (just after my 31st birthday).

"I can only hope my walls won't be too high that I can't bring them down long enough to recognize a good thing when it comes along. I've been told that your 30's are the best years of your life. So bring it on, I'm living for me."

And you know what? My 30's have been the best years of my life so far!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHHHH!!!! Let me be the first to comment on this post and say CONGRATS! I am thrilled beyond belief! I was just thinking about you guys yesterday and wondering if this was about to happen - had a feeling! You deserve all the happiness in the world! XO, N

Pen In Cheek said...

yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marianne said...

Congrats, I am so excited to have Rick be offically apart of the family even though we always considered him so. I have to say that is a great pic and Michele I have to say the "ice" on your finger suits you.

Laura said...

So so so happy for you! I remember reading that About a Boy post and hoping he was going to be "the one" for you.

Wish we had less miles between us so I could give you big hugs in person.

gilly said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! whoo hoo! so super excited for you. it's such an exciting time. I love the whole proposal and ring stuff...it's the best... and you're right...skip the whole wedding hoopla. Ours was lovely but if we could do it again...we'd elope! (we'd still like you there though!) So excited. brilliant news. Maybe a honeymoon in AUstralia sometime?!